Offseason: Shin-Soo Choo

joedogg9999

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Choo would have an impact similar to Johnny Damon, a staple of the 2000s Red Sox that won the World Series. Hopefully Duquette goes after him.
Nothing DD has said recently would indicate that the 100 M ceiling is not still firmly in place. Forget Choo. Geshundiet.

He's had one of his best offensive years since 2008's protracted campaign. His baserunning is in decline and he's not good defensively. Between the great offensive year and the glut of money from MLB, he could get a really, really stupid deal. At the very least, he should be able to take a walk for as long as he plays, just like Roberts. But other than that it'll be another guy, on the wrong side of 30, getting a bunch of years and money.

He's had one of his best offensive years since 2008's protracted campaign. His baserunning is in decline and he's not good defensively. Between the great offensive year and the glut of money from MLB, he could get a really, really stupid deal. At the very least, he should be able to take a walk for as long as he plays, just like Roberts. But other than that it'll be another guy, on the wrong side of 30, getting a bunch of years and money.

He probably will be. He'll be overpaid by the time the end of his contract rolls around.

However, he should be a consistent 4 WAR player over the next couple of years. If you assume he puts up WAR's of 4.5, 4, 3.5, 3, and 2.5 over the next 5 years, he'd be worth 17.5 over the next 5 years.

If we can assume that 1 WAR = $5M (and that may go up with the TV money), he could be a reasonable sign for around 5/85-90.

Of course, it all depends on how much our payroll will be going forward, but I don't think he'll be a drain on a team.

If there is one thing this team needs, it's a guy who gets on base.

If I thought we could afford them, two players I would like to pursue would be Kendry Morales(a good DH from both sides of the plate who could give Davis a blow at 1B once in a while), and Zobrist, if TB doesn't pick up his option. He can play every where, and is just the kind of bat we don't have.

Nothing DD has said recently would indicate that the 100 M ceiling is not still firmly in place. Forget Choo. Geshundiet.

The Orioles could still fit Choo in IMO. There's a bunch of contracts they could dump - Jim Johnson and Tommy Hunter in particular. Matt Wieters could be traded. Nick Markakis' contract could be partially eaten.

He probably will be. He'll be overpaid by the time the end of his contract rolls around.

However, he should be a consistent 4 WAR player over the next couple of years. If you assume he puts up WAR's of 4.5, 4, 3.5, 3, and 2.5 over the next 5 years, he'd be worth 17.5 over the next 5 years.

If we can assume that 1 WAR = $5M (and that may go up with the TV money), he could be a reasonable sign for around 5/85-90.

Of course, it all depends on how much our payroll will be going forward, but I don't think he'll be a drain on a team.

See that deal doesn't sound too terrible to me, at least in theory. But when you think about how people around here count their pennies over Brian Roberts' $10 million... I mean Choo would have to really crater to be that bad. But that's what Roberts did. That's what Hamilton is doing. Alfonso Soriano too, and the guy who signed the same year as him, Carlos Lee, sorta. I just don't like the risk these contracts entail especially when we're already trading down for draft picks.

If there is one thing this team needs, it's a guy who gets on base.

Last I heard Choo was seeking around 5/75, though there is going to be a bunch of competition as the Mets and Cubs are already after him.

Archived