Offseason: Shin-Soo Choo

joedogg9999

I don't think we need to resign them at all costs, but they are valuable guys that we don't currently have a replacement for. How are you going to find a plus offensive C with Gold Glove defense? If you want to replace Hardy with Machado at SS, then who do you want to replace Machado? If we can extend Hardy at his current level for 2-3 more years, I would be all over that. Not sure about Wieters, but we do need a "plan B", which we could not afford if we spent all our money on Choo.
Plan B - Clevenger, find the offense elsewhere. Wieters' defense likely won't be GG caliber in a few years anyway. As for Machado, I leave him at 3B and go looking for a slick fielding SS. They are out there and won't be as expensive as Hardy anyway. The goal for this team needs to be to increase OBP this offseason and every offseason after. They can lose a bit of power and defense to do that.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Plan B - Clevenger, find the offense elsewhere. Wieters' defense likely won't be GG caliber in a few years anyway. As for Machado, I leave him at 3B and go looking for a slick fielding SS. They are out there and won't be as expensive as Hardy anyway. The goal for this team needs to be to increase OBP this offseason and every offseason after. They can lose a bit of power and defense to do that.

I agree that we can find the offense elsewhere but I would extend Hardy. Machado at 3rd, Hardy at SS and Schoop at 2b will be above average both offensively and defensively. Where we need to improve is DH, LF and RF. Right now we could pick up a ton of players to do what Mcclouth and Markakis do. Upgrade those 3 positions and see what this offense does.,

How much would you give Davis?

That's a great question. I have no idea. The Orioles are in a really tough spot with him. This will be his second year of arbitration coming off a $33 million season, and in his entire career previous he's produced about $4 million in 440 games. Chris Davis' journey reminds me of Joey Bautista except he's a bit younger than Bautista was in his breakout season, and that makes a big difference.

Maybe I throw 5 years, $90 million at Davis. He's not that long removed from being a AAAA player, he gets life security for himself and his family, and he's incentivized to stay productive because he'd be getting out with enough time to get one of those earlyish age 30's slugger deals I hate so much. More flexible on the $90 million than the 5 years. So that's:

2nd year arb: $10 million

3rd year arb: $15 million

FA1: $20 million

FA2: $22 million

FA3: $23 million

What do you think he'll be going forward?

I hate this question because it terrifies me. You want to think a guy is a safe bet for 40 home runs but it's hard to feel like there is such a thing.

Davis will end with at least 51 home runs and probably 70 walks. And 41 doubles. What a producer. I think he's acquitted himself well enough at first base. He could be a $30 million player the next two years and we'd all be really, really happy. He could be $20 million a year and we'd at least be able to say, well, he's not a problem child. We've been dying for such a player like him and here he is.

I think this will be his career year and I don't think he'll do it again. But I think he'll be a very powerful man for the next few years at least. The physical skills should always be there for him to accidently hit a bunch of home runs. His status as elite or very good depends, I think, on that newfound discipline.

How much do you think Choo would cost and where is the money coming from? We also need to add SP and RP. I doubt Choo is at all realistic.

I'd guess around 5/80 would get it done. Assuming things don't go crazy. We should have room to do that with Roberts gone, Jim Johnson gone, no Wieters extension, Nick gone in 2015 etc. Not to mention some smaller stuff. Just a matter if priorities. We're not going spend big money on a SP.

I'd guess around 5/80 would get it done. Assuming things don't go crazy. We should have room to do that with Roberts gone, Jim Johnson gone, no Wieters extension, Nick gone in 2015 etc. Not to mention some smaller stuff. Just a matter if priorities. We're not going spend big money on a SP.
If we don't resign anyone the payroll will be about 90M with raises and arb. Choo would raise it to over 100M before doing anything else. I doubt PA springs for that.

Guest rochester
Wieters and Hardy can both walk. They can both be replaced. Davis is the one that will take the big money.

Man... I always try to refrain but you teed this one up. There is no doubt in my mind that if Wieters was playing for someone else right now you would be extolling his defense and some power and complaining about why the O's never pay for big name FA's (when he hits FA).

Man... I always try to refrain but you teed this one up. There is no doubt in my mind that if Wieters was playing for someone else right now you would be extolling his defense and some power and complaining about why the O's never pay for big name FA's (when he hits FA).

Naw, Trea doesn't care about positions like Catcher. He seems to think you can throw a 28 year old with approximately 250 plate appearances (541 OPS) out there 100 games a year.

Naw, Trea doesn't care about positions like Catcher. He seems to think you can throw a 28 year old with approximately 250 plate appearances (541 OPS) out there 100 games a year.

Teams like OAK and TB use low cost catching platoons and get decent production. Look around the leagues and you'll see others. Wieters has been a nice asset but lets not fall in love with him. Yeah DD needs to do some work improving the catching depth. But I'm guessing clevenger might have been more pruductive than Taylor Teagarden. Novel concept but many teams use 2 or more catchers throughout the year.

Teams like OAK and TB use low cost catching platoons and get decent production. Look around thhe leagues and you'll see others. Wieters has been a nice asset but lets not fall in love with him. Yeah DD needs to do some work improving the catching depth. But im guessing clevenger might have been more pruductive than Taylor Teagarden.

Huh?

My point was is that Trea is more then willing to completely punt on a position like Catcher as long as the O's have a big bopper at First or an overpaid guy in decline with a good OBP at DH.

Huh?

My point was is that Trea is more then willing to completely punt on a position like Catcher as long as the O's have a big bopper at First or an overpaid guy in decline with a good OBP at DH.

Why is Ckevenger (or somebody like him) and another RHB platooning at catcher a punt? The thread is about Choo i.e. allocating resources for Choo. You don't think Choo can be productive or you just don't see any possible tradeoff?

Archived