Would you bring BRob back next year if the price is right?

Frobby

Would you bring BRob back for 2014 if the price were right?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Would you bring BRob back for 2014 if the price were right?

For me Roberts or Schoop is 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other. Depends on what we use the saved 3 M for.

You don't think that Schoop's upside is worth substantially more than the somewhat higher confidence we have in Roberts not producing at all? I tend to think that the risk of Schoop not being ready is comparable to the risk of Roberts collapsing, while Schoop has all kinds of upside.

If my only choices were 1) start Schoop/not resign Roberts or 2) sign Roberts for $3M and start him, I take #1 and never look back.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't think that Schoop's upside is worth substantially more than the somewhat higher confidence we have in Roberts not producing at all? I tend to think that the risk of Schoop not being ready is comparable to the risk of Roberts collapsing, while Schoop has all kinds of upside.

If my only choices were 1) start Schoop/not resign Roberts or 2) sign Roberts for $3M and start him, I take #1 and never look back.

It's not like we are trading Schoop, of course he has upside, but would he benefit from more time at AA? And what would we do with the extra 3M. If it goes back in PA's pocket I'd rather have Roberts.

If Roberts comes back, he should play for league minimum to make up for all that time on the DL. I mean he gets 10 million for not playing, and now he wants more money?

So if you signed a contract with someone to pay you $10M a year no matter what you do, would you give all the money back when you were unable to perform?

So if you signed a contract with someone to pay you $10M a year no matter what you do, would you give all the money back when you were unable to perform?

No, but I would feel guilty about it, and would want to repay them for all that money by at least coming back on the cheap to help the team. He knows payroll is an issue and the team is close to winning.

No, but I would feel guilty about it, and would want to repay them for all that money by at least coming back on the cheap to help the team. He knows payroll is an issue and the team is close to winning.

I think BRob would give the O's a hometown discount to stay. But he ain't going to sign for league minimum if his market value is in the $3 mm range (not saying that's the actual number, but it's probably in the ballpark). In any event, from the poll, it seems 2/3 of our posters don't want BRob back at any price.

The problem with Roberts on the bench is simple, he can only realistically play second and DH. He isn't tall enough for first and doesn't have the arm for anywhere else on the diamond.

Bingo. The Orioles would lose versatility off the bench if they bring back Roberts. Better to sign somebody like Michael Young and have Flaherty on the bench in Roberts' place.

I say no, I would not bring him back. It's a tough tough call though. The problem for me is that I think on paper he has 2-3 million in value. I think history says that he is not likely to earn that, but I am willing to be proven wrong. For me the issue is roster spot. I can't keep Nick, Brob, Weiters, and Hardy. As someone said the other day. Good organizations know when to move on, and I think of the guys above, Brob is clearly the one that doesn't make sense to give a spot to. Just my 2 cents.

Bingo. The Orioles would lose versatility off the bench if they bring back Roberts. Better to sign somebody like Michael Young and have Flaherty on the bench in Roberts' place.

I do like Roberts bat in the way he fouls off pitches and makes the pitcher work. If he had a full healthy season, maybe he could be a good DH?

In any event, from the poll, it seems 2/3 of our posters don't want BRob back at any price.

When I voted no, I was assuming he would make a few million. If he agreed to come back for league minimum on the principal he will do whatever it takes to help the team win and repay the team for the time on DL, I would welcome him back in that case.

I said yes - but I would bring him back with the understanding that Schoop was the guy of the future, and he would probably (hopefully) be a backup/DH/part-time 2nd baseman. Pay him a low base with stepped bonuses for games played, etc. I think he's a good dude, and he does have some gas left in the tank, IMO.

Archived