Would you bring BRob back next year if the price is right?

Frobby

Would you bring BRob back for 2014 if the price were right?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Would you bring BRob back for 2014 if the price were right?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even when he was on the bench hurt, Brian always stood close to Buck, maybe picking his brain about coaching and strategy. I'd bring him back perhaps in a coaching capacity, but not as an active player.

Yeah, I don't know about that. I could see him as a good PR guy though.

McLouth was doing great until they started playing him everyday. He was probably due to regress in the 2nd half anyway. At 2M or 3M he's a nice piece to platoon in LF. He didn't get many offers last offseason so he may not be able to do much better on the open market.

McLouth's .750 OPS against righties with good defense and baserunning is a heck of a value for his salary. Until you start loading him up with 150 PAs of a mid-to-low-.600s against lefties.

Maybe this plays into the Orioles hands. If he was more strictly platooned he'd look better on the market. Now they might be able to sign him to a 2/8 kind of deal and, if we're lucky, keep him off the field against lefties next year.

McLouth's .750 OPS against righties with good defense and baserunning is a heck of a value for his salary. Until you start loading him up with 150 PAs of a mid-to-low-.600s against lefties.

Maybe this plays into the Orioles hands. If he was more strictly platooned he'd look better on the market. Now they might be able to sign him to a 2/8 kind of deal and, if we're lucky, keep him off the field against lefties next year.

The severe decline in stolen bases as the year progressed is troubling.

Anyone miss Brian Roberts tonight? We saw two reasons tonight why the Orioles should not bring back Brian Roberts.

No one mentioned that Brob hit homers in his last 2 games...oh that's right, only the negative things Brob does gets mentioned on here, I almost forgot

No one mentioned that Brob hit homers in his last 2 games...oh that's right, only the negative things Brob does gets mentioned on here, I almost forgot

I think the pro- and anti-Roberts viewpoints both have plenty of support on this board and plenty of opportunity to point out anything that happens on the field relating to Roberts or the other 2B candidates.

As to BRob's accomplishments, I think they are what they are. He's 35 and has hit .242/.307/.379 in 278 PA. His defense has been solid, if unspectacular. He no longer steals bases. When I ask myself, "is it likely that BRob will have a better season in 2014 than he has had in 2013," the answer is "probably not." Yeah, he could be a little better now that the rust is fully scraped off, but at 36, not a lot better. His days of a near .800 OPS, 45-50 doubles and 25+ stolen bases are over. If we were very fortunate, he'd have an OPS a few points over .700, and OBP in the .325-.330 area, and give us quality at bats. But that's the best we can hope for. The downside is another year like this one or worse, or further injuries.

I don't think Flaherty is ever going to be a great OBP guy or resemble BRob in his prime. But, his "mid-case" is about the same as Roberts' next year overall, maybe better, and his upside is much higher going into his age 28 season. He's the better defender and he has more power. The real question is whether he can nudge his BA and OBP up to where BRob was this year, or better. I don't know, but there is a reaonable chance he could, and even if he can't, his overall contributions on offense and defense are likely to be comparable to BRob.

As to Schoop, he's got way more potential than Flaherty, but he's raw. I'm glad he showed his upside last night and got us excited, but his AAA numbers suggest that he's not quite ready for the majors yet and would be well-served by another half-season or more in Norfolk.

Archived