St Louis Post-Dispatch : Best Shortstop Fit for the Cardinals is JJ Hardy

jamesenoch

All the talk about landing Freese can stop now...

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Cardinals have acquired Peter Bourjos from the Angels.

Yahoo's Tim Brown tweets that while Bourjos and Freese are the primary players in the deal, a couple other pieces are involved as well.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Splitting hairs -- he turns in-season. Point is exact same. Baltimore got its surpluss value from Hardy. Absolutely no reason to pay market price for him as he enters his mid-30s.

August 19 is 40 days from the end of the season and not close to age 36 which you quoted. You will have to speak to the World Champion Red Sox about signing players in their 30's.

All the talk about landing Freese can stop now...

I just saw that. Many of the Cardinals fans will be absolutely delirious with joy over this deal. They would have given Freese and Salas away to get them off the team. Getting a plus center fielder and an outfield prospect with power who's played more CF than the corners just makes it better and better.

This trade implies that Mozeliak is in tune with the fan on the street.

I just saw that. Many of the Cardinals fans will be absolutely delirious with joy over this deal. They would have given Freese and Salas away to get them off the team. Getting a plus center fielder and an outfield prospect with power who's played more CF than the corners just makes it better and better.

This trade implies that Mozeliak is in tune with the fan on the street.

I think this trade just reveals that Mozeliak knows what he is doing, regardless what the fan on the street thinks.

.688 career ops and a 84 ops + ? mixed with a .339 obp which is decent i guess. He steals a lot of bases i guess I just don't see the big deal with him.

Top 10 defensive shortstop (some metrics have him higher) and arguably a top 5 baserunner in the game (1st-3rd, 1st-home, 2nd-home, SB) with enough OBP to hit at the top of your order (particularly when paired with the high-level baserunning.

He had a "bad" offensive year last year and was probably worth something like 3 wins. If he hits at all, he's a 4+ win player at the second most difficult position to fill on the field.

Top 10 defensive shortstop (some metrics have him higher) and arguably a top 5 baserunner in the game (1st-3rd, 1st-home, 2nd-home, SB) with enough OBP to hit at the top of your order (particularly when paired with the high-level baserunning.

He had a "bad" offensive year last year and was probably worth something like 3 wins. If he hits at all, he's a 4+ win player at the second most difficult position to fill on the field.

Ah I didn't even check his WAR and I didn't realize he was so good defensively. .

Archived