St Louis Post-Dispatch : Best Shortstop Fit for the Cardinals is JJ Hardy

jamesenoch

Nothing like twisting the truth. I certainly didn't say it was certain they would win the WS with Kozma at SS. The fact that they got into the WS in the first place, shows that it's certainly not farfetched that they could. Like maybe Shelby Miller gets even better next year and actually pitches and makes a difference in the postseason. Could happen. They aren't desperate nor should they be. That's my point.

" Quote Originally Posted by RZNJ View Post

Posters act as if:

1. J.J. Hardy is the only SS upgrade available to the Cardinals

2. The Cardinals can't win a WS without unless they get a top SS"

This is your post I was responding to. Your inaccurate comment that people were saying that the Cardinals had no option other than Hardy was the single "twisting of the truth" that I have seen in this thread. I have not seen one post that said, or even hinted, that Hardy was the Cardinals' only option. I, myself, have posted that the Cardinals need to be exploring free agency if they are unwilling to trade what it takes to get a shortstop that they want. My response was totally appropriate to your comment that people that disagree with you are "acting" in some way. That the Cardinals are looking for a SS is a known fact.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you inside Dan Duquette's head? Hardy has one year left on his contract. How do you know that he doesn't prefer to move him now?

For the simple and obvious reason that the Orioles have not made the kind of move that you seem to be advocating. The Orioles, on the other hand, have let the Cardinals know that a Miller for Hardy deal is possible. The Cardinals have declined. That is what we know.

Stephen Drew received a qualifying offer and MLBTR predicts that he'll land a 4/48 contract. I'd say Hardy is a little better than Drew, and he's the same age (so he'll be 32 in the first year of his new contract whereas Drew will be 31).

I'm sure JJ likes it here, but 8M/year won't get the job done again. I think an extension to JJ might look like 3/33. I'd be in favor of that.

I have no clue what you are even saying now. What move do you claim that I am advocating? See, you assume that because I think Hardy will never get you Miller and that the Cardinals would be fools to make such a move, that means that am advocating Hardy for Lance Lynn, which I am not.

What move would you want to see happen, if any. Just curious?

I have no clue what you are even saying now. What move do you claim that I am advocating? See, you assume that because I think Hardy will never get you Miller and that the Cardinals would be fools to make such a move, that means that am advocating Hardy for Lance Lynn, which I am not.

But Cardinals fans would be. Because the deal would be slanted their way. No matter the results.

Fine. We are in agreement then. Thank you.

But Cardinals fans would be. Because the deal would be slanted their way. No matter the results.

Hardy for either Shelby Miller or Lance Lynn would be terribly one-sided, in my opinion, unless Hardy signs an extension or the Orioles throw in some more players.

There are Cardinals fans would like to move Lance because of "Lynning" (his tendency to have one inning in most games in which he struggles). They acknowledge that if Lynn can get past that one inning, he's virtually undefeatable.

Even Bob Gibson seemed to have "Lynning" problems at times, but that didn't stop him from having a BIG career. It's far too early to project Lynn as another Gibson, but he's well on his way in terms of wins at age 26 with 33 in his first two full seasons.

I think Lynn has room for improvement in his maturity and composure. With that, he would establish himself as one of the best pitchers in baseball. So I'm just fine with the Orioles not having any interest in him. However, I doubt if that is true.

Does anyone see the trade with the Angels as precursor to a trade for Hardy?

No, it's more likely a precursor to a trade of Taveres to the Rangers for Profar. Adding Bourjos and Grichuk gives the Cardinals more outfield depth. Moving Taveres keeps him from competing with Craig in RF and lets Adams -- the superior defender -- play first base full time.

This presumes the Rangers traded Kinsler to free up payroll for bidding on Cano. That's not my theory, but it seems to be a popular one.

MLB just suggested the Rangers might move Andrus in place of Profar. That would free up even more payroll to go after Cano.

Hardy for either Shelby Miller or Lance Lynn would be terribly one-sided, in my opinion, unless Hardy signs an extension or the Orioles throw in some more players.

There are Cardinals fans would like to move Lance because of "Lynning" (his tendency to have one inning in most games in which he struggles). They acknowledge that if Lynn can get past that one inning, he's virtually undefeatable.

Even Bob Gibson seemed to have "Lynning" problems at times, but that didn't stop him from having a BIG career. It's far too early to project Lynn as another Gibson, but he's well on his way in terms of wins at age 26 with 33 in his first two full seasons.

I think Lynn has room for improvement in his maturity and composure. With that, he would establish himself as one of the best pitchers in baseball. So I'm just fine with the Orioles not having any interest in him. However, I doubt if that is true.

Spoken like a true Cardinals fan.

Maybe a bag of balls that you guys are not using for the Gold Glove shortstop, Silver Slugger would be not "terribly one-sided".

Or maybe we could throw in Chris Davis and Matt Wieters along with Hardy for that Bob Gibson clone, Lance Lynn.

We had a guy. Jake Arrieta. He would look good for a few innings too. Real good actually. Bob Gibson is one of my favorite pitchers of all time.

If you are going to try to make your point by comparing Lynn to one of the greatest pitchers of all time I feel you've lost alot of credabilitity. Wondering if you're old enough to see Bob Gipson pitch.

Archived