Roberts DH

Owen21

Also:

Luke Scott

Chris Dickerson

Betemit's a possibility,y depending on his health but he can't play any position really, and the O's may not be too enamored of him after last fall. Scott averaged 84(injuries) G the last 3 years and hit 231 .303 .421 .724 . I think Roberts would do that. Dickerson can't hit. Far too many K's.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now you're confusing yourself. Here's exactly what you said:

You implied that playing Flaherty over Roberts (whose name you didn't have to mention, because he is the subject of the conversation) gives up a ton of offense. But the OPS stats I posted shows there wasn't a ton of difference between them.

Having any player starting at 2B on any team with a BA of .200 wouldn't be tolerable, no matter his glove. And if you think otherwise u are wrong IMO.

How the heck are u going to say what I implied? If you read further back i was making the point that Flaherty playing 2B with a .200 avg. was not worth having him there because his bat stinks. I also said Roberts or another guy should be signed to play the position. Never did i say or mean that Roberts bat was a ton better.

So, let me get this straight...

1) Flaherty's glove isn't worth giving up a ton of offense.

2) Roberts would be a better option at second base, even though his offense is not a ton better and he's not as good a fielder.

Did I get it right this time?

So, let me get this straight...

1) Flaherty's glove isn't worth giving up a ton of offense.

2) Roberts would be a better option at second base, even though his offense is not a ton better and he's not as good a fielder.

Did I get it right this time?

#1 is correct

But I think it is reasonable to assume Flaherty is equal to or better than Roberts offensively. He had a very small edge last year.

That's fine. I'm done arguing my point. I'm not convincing anyone of anything and no one is convincing me of anything. That is all fine and dandy. I simply believe Roberts is serviceable at the current time, and i think Flaherty is decent too. Platooning them would be a good compromise i think

Betemit's a possibility,y depending on his health but he can't play any position really, and the O's may not be too enamored of him after last fall. Scott averaged 84(injuries) G the last 3 years and hit 231 .303 .421 .724 . I think Roberts would do that. Dickerson can't hit. Far too many K's.

2013 vs. RHP

Brian Roberts

PA - 186

BB - 19

SO - 31

Slash .227 .303 .362 .665

Chris Dickerson

PA - 102

BB - 4

SO - 32

Slash .245 .275 .418 .693

If Dickerson can't hit RHP, Roberts must really suck.

I'm done.

If an 801 OPS and Gold Glove defense isn't good enough because the batting average is too low then our basic understanding of the game is just at a fundamentally different level to allow for productive discussion.

Given those parameters, of course you play him...and be grateful he's there to play.

Are we asserting that Flaherty could play GG defense and produce that kind of offense, though? Because he doesn't exactly have the track record to support such a claim. He only played 65 games at 2B last year (59 of which were starts), bringing his career MLB total to 93 games. As for the offense, he couldn't even crack an OBP of .300, which makes me think that a full season of .333 is more than a stretch.

I really can't stand watching the guy play. Whatever he brings to the table, IMO, is more than offset by his frequent futility at the plate. I would be happy to be proven wrong if the starting job eventually falls to him, and I would also be more than happy with the numbers you mentioned above, but that would be hindsight. At this point, I sincerely hope the O's find someone better.

Given those parameters, of course you play him...and be grateful he's there to play.

Are we asserting that Flaherty could play GG defense and produce that kind of offense, though? Because he doesn't exactly have the track record to support such a claim. He only played 65 games at 2B last year (59 of which were starts), bringing his career MLB total to 93 games. As for the offense, he couldn't even crack an OBP of .300, which makes me think that a full season of .333 is more than a stretch.

I really can't stand watching the guy play. Whatever he brings to the table, IMO, is more than offset by his frequent futility at the plate. I would be happy to be proven wrong if the starting job eventually falls to him, and I would also be more than happy with the numbers you mentioned above, but that would be hindsight. At this point, I sincerely hope the O's find someone better.

No I was confirming that Auzzy98 and I should not engage in talks about baseball.

I am not a Flaherty fan and do not think he is a good enough player to be a starter in the majors.

No I was confirming that Auzzy98 and I should not engage in talks about baseball.

I am not a Flaherty fan and do not think he is a good enough player to be a starter in the majors.

Oh...huh. Good stuff, then. I kinda wish I hadn't bothered to double-check his stats before posting :)

Archived