Roberts DH

Owen21

I know I'll get flack for this, but re-sign Brian for DH/2B. We have enough power in our lineup. Flaherety is our LH bat when Brian plays second. He has Oriole blood thru & thru. Let him slap the ball thru the infield & into the gaps & be done with it.

Keep grooming Hammerin' Hank for later in the season. Now, how much will he sign for ?......injury risk ?.......I'd go for it.....there will always be some Jason Kubel lying around in some scrap heap for pickup.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roberts doesn't hit for power or get on base enough at this stage in his career to fit in the role of a DH. The one thing he can still do is take some pitches and work the count, but that's about it. Never mind that, if he did come back what would make us believe he'd be solely a DH? Would his sense of pride or ego allow that? More importantly, if he were to be brought back, what reason would we have to believe that Buck wouldn't play him almost every day at second? Buck likes veterans, he clearly likes Brian Roberts, and the other options aren't awe inspiring either. Color me skeptical.

I know I'll get flack for this, but re-sign Brian for DH/2B. We have enough power in our lineup. Flaherety is our LH bat when Brian plays second. He has Oriole blood thru & thru. Let him slap the ball thru the infield & into the gaps & be done with it.

Keep grooming Hammerin' Hank for later in the season. Now, how much will he sign for ?......injury risk ?.......I'd go for it.....there will always be some Jason Kubel lying around in some scrap heap for pickup.

Right, which is why he signed for a team friendly deal last time, and graciously stepped down from the starting role in 2012 when it was obvious he wasn't ready to play.

(those things may not have happened)

I think that if the O's invite him back and some other team gives him a clearly better offer Roberts is gone. (I wouldn't blame him, its a business)

If he was still hitting doubles and running the bases really well, I'd agree. I wanted BRob to DH when he made his comeback last year, but the argument against it was the same then as it is now. And he's only going to be an extra year older next spring.

Would it surprise me if he went somewhere else and hit 25 doubles and played a little bit of 2b? Of course not. But if the O's sign him, he'll be an abyss that we can't afford.

It would have to be an EXTREMELY team-friendly contract for me to be interested in Roberts, which may happen, depending on how badly he wants to play baseball.

Roberts 2013 production projected over 162 G would be: 25 2B, 3 3B,18 HR, 83 RBI

compared to actual stats from last year:

[TABLE=width: 256]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=width: 64, align: right]HR-21[/TD]

[TD=width: 64, align: right]R-73[/TD]

[TD=width: 64, align: right]RBI-64[/TD]

[TD=width: 64, align: right]

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

I wouldn't mind Roberts on a 1 year deal. SH that can lead off. He can take a pitch. Maybe on a one year deal he wont have all the expectations and pressure. He looked good in ST last year and the first few games until he had that tendon pop. He looked like he was going to actually steal some bases, then he went all nate mcclouth and played it safe the rest of the year.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. It is time for the O's and BRob to part ways

IMO

Roberts 2013 production projected over 162 G would be: 25 2B, 3 3B,18 HR, 83 RBI

I'm not sure how you can look at that projected production and say that the only thing Brob supplies is a good AB and that he can take some pitches. Take out a few of hr's and u have the same production as JJ Hardy. Better OBP. too

I'm not sure how you can look at that projected production and say that the only thing Brob supplies is a good AB and that he can take some pitches. Take out a few of hr's and u have the same production as JJ Hardy. Better OBP. too

Too bad he isn't able to play most of the time (unlike Hardy).

I'm assuming we will play a platoon of Henry/Peguero/Pearce in LF. That means we need a LHDH to go with Valencia. We can sign a Kubel, Ibanez, a Betemit or maybe Roberts. I bet we could sign him for 2M.

v RHP

RF Nick

3B Manny

CF AJ

1B Davis

C Wieters

SS Hardy

LF Urrutia

2B Flaherty

DH Roberts

v LHP

2B Roberts