Roberts DH

Owen21

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Judging by the way Flaherty started to hit last year when Roberts was out, last year might have been his breakout season. He didn't get the at bats. Maybe he becomes a good hitter and earns a job in the lineup every day at a different position. Maybe he just becomes a part-time player. But if the position is not going to be taken by someone who is good at it (and Roberts is not), why not give him a chance and see what he can do?

IF we can get a real left fielder and a real left handed DH, then having Flaherty at second base is fine. If we go into the season with Flaherty, Reimold, and Valencia/Hank in our everyday lineup, we may be in trouble. Especially if Manny misses time to start the season. We could return to the 14 year hangover and be out of the race by June.

IF we can get a real left fielder and a real left handed DH, then having Flaherty at second base is fine. If we go into the season with Flaherty, Reimold, and Valencia/Hank in our everyday lineup, we may be in trouble. Especially if Manny misses time to start the season. We could return to the 14 year hangover and be out of the race by June.

Roberts does nothing to improve that, in any way. He's just not good anymore.

One question for Weams, Tony, Drungo, and others who are pretty much dead set against signing Roberts.

Based on the moves that Duke has signed thus far this offseason, wouldn't having Roberts on the roster be better than the "nothing" that it appears we are going to end up with?

I agree with you guys that I'd rather have a real left handed DH, a real left fielder, a real second baseman, etc, but what we ALL want doesn't appear to be in Duke's budget. So to that end, I'd take BRob over nothing.

No, because I don't trust Buck with Roberts. Of the current options, Flaherty is the one with an upside based on how he hit over his last 180 PAs last year. I also believe Weeks and Phelps have more of an upside than Roberts has at this point. Add in the fact that hopefully whoever is playing there is holding down the position until Schoop is ready (let's hope by June), I don't want any of Buck's entitled vets around that could take away playing time from better players once again.

No, because I don't trust Buck with Roberts. Of the current options, Flaherty is the one with an upside based on how he hit over his last 180 PAs last year. I also believe Weeks and Phelps have more of an upside than Roberts has at this point. Add in the fact that hopefully whoever is playing there is holding down the position until Schoop is ready (let's hope by June), I don't want any of Buck's entitled vets around that could take away playing time from better players once again.

Fair enough. Can't say I disagree.

Maybe, maybe not, but I'd rather have Roberts as the 25th guy on the bench than a AA kid that we drafted in the rule 5 from Boston sitting there rotting all season.

Both are probably worthless, but one is cheaper. Roberts might have some value as a PH in the NL.

If that's true, why would you want someone who was only modestly better offensively last year, not as capable defensively, nine years older, and more expensive?

Flaherty stinks. And Roberts provides a better OBP. a better AVG. better AB's less KO's and at least a threat to steal bases. And he played a respectable 2B, with a few exceptional plays. It's not like we're gonna pay him $5 million. It's not going to be the signing that takes up the rest of the payroll.

One question for Weams, Tony, Drungo, and others who are pretty much dead set against signing Roberts.

Based on the moves that Duke has signed thus far this offseason, wouldn't having Roberts on the roster be better than the "nothing" that it appears we are going to end up with?

I agree with you guys that I'd rather have a real left handed DH, a real left fielder, a real second baseman, etc, but what we ALL want doesn't appear to be in Duke's budget. So to that end, I'd take BRob over nothing.

Exactly, name a LHDH that you can sign for less than 5M better than Roberts.

Archived