Roberts DH

Owen21

So if somehow a GG level second baseman put up Adam Dunn's 2012 slash line of 204/333/468 you would be unhappy?

So you would be happy with a 204/333/468 line with 222 strikeouts and a whopping 87 runs scored? Keep in mind that i asked if you would be happy with that? Not tolerate it...be happy with it..because apparently you are

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you would be happy with a 204/333/468 line with 222 strikeouts and a whopping 87 runs scored? Keep in mind that i asked if you would be happy with that? Not tolerate it...be happy with it..because apparently you are

Yes. Anyone that knows anything would be thrilled with an 801 OPS from a GG level second baseman.

i didn't mention anything about an 801 OPS.

I wonder what the Red Sox would do if Pedroia batted .204 next year and struck out 222 times and only scored 87 runs. They may continue to play him there because of his contract and fanbase but they would not be happy with his performance

I wonder what the Red Sox would do if Pedroia batted .204 next year and struck out 222 times and only scored 87 runs. They may continue to play him there because of his contract and fanbase but they would not be happy with his performance

Sorry to pile on, but that example is nonsensical. I was going to write out a longer explanation, but simply comparing that to Pedroia's career numbers should explain why the Red Sox's fans would be disappointed.

Of course, I feel like it shouldn't have to be explained to you that Dunn's 2012 at second base (paired with excellent defense) would be an improvement for the Orioles at that position, whereas (apart from the HR total) would be a downgrade for the Sox. Not to mention that runs scored is a product of many factors beyond batting average.

2013 vs. RHP

Brian Roberts

PA - 186

BB - 19

SO - 31

Slash .227 .303 .362 .665

Chris Dickerson

PA - 102

BB - 4

SO - 32

Slash .245 .275 .418 .693

If Dickerson can't hit RHP, Roberts must really suck.

Looking at Dickerson's track record I see a consistently poor disciplined hitter. I see the opposite with Roberts. Watching him play last season as he shook of the rust I saw the same QAB skill set emerge that he had prior to his injury. I don't see using his numbers from last season as much of an indication for what he will do this coming one.

Looking at Dickerson's track record I see a consistently poor disciplined hitter. I see the opposite with Roberts. Watching him play last season as he shook of the rust I saw the same QAB skill set emerge that he had prior to his injury. I don't see using his numbers from last season as much of an indication for what he will do this coming one.

Nor do I. I assume at his age a dramatic falloff is a constant risk.

204/333/468 equals an OPS of .801.

.333 on base percentage plus 468 slugging = .801 On base Plus Slugging (OPS)[/quote

Understood. I didn't realize that's how they came up with that. My bad. I don't know as much about all the numbers as some of you do. I really do get tired of all the numbers meaning everything as well.

Seems like you're just guessing he will improve with age. How does that work?

Nor do I. I assume at his age a dramatic falloff is a constant risk.
I doubt he falls off that much But then I actually watched him swing the bat almost every game he played. I really did not see a much diminished hitter from the one before his injury. Of course there's risk but if I can sign him for 2 M not that much. Would you really prefer Dickerson to Roberts as a DH?

Archived