Roberts DH

Owen21

So if JJ hardy OPS'd .600 and hit .200 the last 3 years with his tremendous glove, would u want to give him the 3 year extension that the O's wanna give him?

You have eliminated all nuance from the argument. If a .200-hitting Hardy's value was still 2-3 wins then he would be worthy of some kind of contract. But all bad hitters and all extensions are not equal.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have eliminated all nuance from the argument. If a .200-hitting Hardy's value was still 2-3 wins then he would be worthy of some kind of contract. But all bad hitters and all extensions are not equal.

No, i was making the point that Flaherty's glove isn't worth giving up a ton of offense.

So you are saying you would Look past a guy in our lineup hitting .200 because he can pick it at 2nd?

Value is value.

You question is however, irrelevant. You made the grossly inaccurate statement that Flaherty was worse last year then Roberts was in 2012.

Roberts put up a 415 OPS with a 16 OPS+ and combined it with a -.6 dWAR in 2012.

Flaherty only had one month last season where his offense was below the pitiful mark Roberts set in 2012 and that was July when Flaherty had 10 plate appearances.

There was not a facet of the game in which Roberts was not completely incompetent in 2012.

My point was only that he has been loyal to the O's and still said he would like to play here.

Great. He was loyal. So give him a gold watch. He said he'd still like to play for them. Hey, all good things come to an end. Roberts as DH isn't going to instill any fear in opposing pitchers.

I didn't saying it was a ton better than Roberts. Did i mention his name? I said it meaning that ANYONE hitting .200 is giving up alot of offense

Now you're confusing yourself. Here's exactly what you said:

No, i was making the point that Flaherty's glove isn't worth giving up a ton of offense.

You implied that playing Flaherty over Roberts (whose name you didn't have to mention, because he is the subject of the conversation) gives up a ton of offense. But the OPS stats I posted shows there wasn't a ton of difference between them.

Now you're confusing yourself. Here's exactly what you said:

You implied that playing Flaherty over Roberts (whose name you didn't have to mention, because he is the subject of the conversation) gives up a ton of offense. But the OPS stats I posted shows there wasn't a ton of difference between them.

How the heck are u going to say what I implied? If you read further back i was making the point that Flaherty playing 2B with a .200 avg. was not worth having him there because his bat stinks. I also said Roberts or another guy should be signed to play the position. Never did i say or mean that Roberts bat was a ton better.

Archived