Roberts DH

Owen21

I watched him bat. I look at the quality of the AB, not the results. He didn't walk enough because he was getting his contact skills back. The guy had a lot of rust to get rid of. I saw him getting better. That's all I can tell you. In those circumstances I don't find looking at the SSS of his splits for a partial season, very useful. Towards the end of the season he was hitting the ball in the gaps, hitting for power, and spoiling pitches for high pitch count AB. The things he used to do when he was in his prime. What he didn't bring to his offense was the running game.

You hit it EL Gordo. I couldn't agree with this more. And his running game may be in the past unless he gets some of his explosiveness back, but it's doubtful I'd say at this stage

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. But I would prefer other options more. If you can't find a .750 OPS hitter for little/nothing you aren't doing an adequate job as a GM.

I don't think its assuming mutch to say no current MLB GM would sign Brian Roberts with the intent of DHing him.

Just an example of how silly this market is, the Mets wanted Hardy for Murphy. Murphy would have been a better option than Roberts, but for Hardy? Yeah being a GM is so easy even you can do it from your armchair. Of course there are better options than Roberts but at what cost., when we have an owner who seems to actually want to cut payroll this year. All I am saying is that in these circumstances given virtually no money to spend and silly trade demands, Roberts could be an option.

There are players in between 5+ win near-MVPs and 36-year-old injury-prone prayers.
Instead of generalizing from your pedagogy, why not name some specific players available in this current market, either FA or trade. Would you trade EdRod for Ike Davis? That was another Met trade DD walked away from.

Here is something interesting. There has only been one player in all MLB history who played less than 200 games (but at least one) from ages 32-35 then went on to play 100+ games in a subsequent season. And that was 123 years ago when Orator Shafer played exactly 100 in the old American Association.

If Roberts comes back and plays regularly again it will be essentially unprecedented.

Why dont we just wait and see like we did last year. We don't even know if Roberts will be back. But just as a shot to you, i hope he gets signed and plays 150 games at 2B and puts up a .280/.340/.400 line. Because honestly i think it's possible.

We saw what happened last year. He rehabbed and was injured for a good chunk of the year.

There's a few things here that are very unlikely. I think that it's going to be real difficult for brian Roberts to play 150 games next season no mateer where he plays. He played in 77 games last season which was the most since 2009 when he put up a slash line of .283/.356/.451. He played in over 150 games as well in 2009.

While I respect your honest opinion, I don't believe that Roberts is a viable DH option for the Orioles this season. He's older and has been too injury prone to reasonably believe that he'll be able to return to his offensive form circa 2009.

We saw what happened last year. He rehabbed and was injured for a good chunk of the year.

There's a few things here that are very unlikely. I think that it's going to be real difficult for brian Roberts to play 150 games next season no mateer where he plays. He played in 77 games last season which was the most since 2009 when he put up a slash line of .283/.356/.451. He played in over 150 games as well in 2009.

While I respect your honest opinion, I don't believe that Roberts is a viable DH option for the Orioles this season. He's older and has been too injury prone to reasonably believe that he'll be able to return to his offensive form circa 2009.

I don't actually believe he will play in 150 games this year. It's just wishful thinking. I don't think he would be a viable DH either. But i think he would be an adequate 2B/platoon/DH.

Archived