Per Gammons: "Orioles culture... back to reality."

MemorialStadKid

Well, not a Gammons fan, but you cannot deny any of this...

SOURCE: http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-gammons-balfour-physical-fiasco-brings-orioles-culture-back-to-reality/

That's it right there.

Angelos didn't like the deal, and went out of his way to find a reason to cancel it.

The meddling is here to stay until Angelos goes.

MSK[/quote

Gammons doesn't know crap about the Balfour deal and neither does Wren. This

is all speculation on their part. Why get so worked up when no one knows what

went down? Wait and see what really happened before you trust somebody like

Gammons. IMO

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With direct, irrefutable quotes from ex-Orioles GMs.

But he has nothing to do with the O's. If Balfour goes to another team and his arm

blows up after one year then what will you say? Of course you won't admit the

doctors were and that the O's were correct in pulling back the offer. IMO

Oh well Merry Christmas to you.

Did they do this? I thought they were countering with the same money, but with the second year coming on a vested option, rather than being guaranteed. Did I miss something?

I'm sure you have, but in this case you're probably right - not that it matters in regard to the discussion.

Gammons doesn't know crap about the Balfour deal and neither does Wren. This

is all speculation on their part. Why get so worked up when no one knows what

went down? Wait and see what really happened before you trust somebody like

Gammons. IMO

I've already stated I'm no fan of Gammons, but the man is a celebrated baseball journalist with a career longer than most of us have been alive. I'm more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt than an owner who has given us nothing to hope for because of his WELL-DOCUMENTED meddling.

The continued refusal to spotlight Angelos as the core problem on every level of this organization is bordering on a childlike tantrum where someone runs into a corner, crosses his arms and pouts. Sorry, but Angelos nixed the deal. That's just the way it goes. What other explanation could there possibly be under the circumstances.

Occam's Razor folks. Occam's Razor.

MSK

I've already stated I'm no fan of Gammons, but the man is a celebrated baseball journalist with a career longer than most of us have been alive. I'm more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt than an owner who has given us nothing to hope for because of his WELL-DOCUMENTED meddling.

Well I AM a fan of Gammons, or at least the Gammons from 10 years ago. But what are you giving him the "benefit of the doubt" on? He hasn't reported a single new fact in this article. It's a commentary piece, nothing more, nothing less.

Anyone not in the Pollyanna crew around here knows the Balfour deal was much ado about Angelos. He's a cancer to this organization.

You joined October of 2012. You should have been here between 2006-2011 when things were super awful and they sat around and made excuses (using sabermetrics) as to why no free agent on earth could help the team contend.

Now, that a couple of FAs could get us over the top, these folks STILL make the same arguments. They aren't satisfied unless the team is completely made up of homegrown talent even if it takes another 30 years to get to the World Series.

Balfour deal nixed by Angelos? "Oh well the doctors are right, he will blow his arm out."

Every other team makes good signings (even teams "poorer" than the Orioles)? "That guy wouldn't help us. Those contracts are stupid."

If the Orioles finish in last place in 2014. "Let's make trades and not extend anyone, only young AAAA level talent will get us to the playooffs. Trust DD and Buck."

I've said this before, but this is the first season when the non-FO-defenders are actually standing up in greater numbers, hence the harsh and immediate defensive postings from the other side.

MSK

Oh, they'll be here. And act like what has transpired this offseason is acceptable. There are always people that think it's totally okay to have someone fail a physical after agreement, even though everyone else says the player is fine. And it is totally okay to not fix DH or the staring pitching when they are terrible. Guarantee we will see those posts soon and in full force.

I guess I would fall under what you think some fans are. I don't the DH is okay. I

cheer for the O's. like I always do. All the hand wrenching, moaning and cussing

Angelos and the FO will change anything. I choose not to make myself sick over

worrying about the FO. You have live your life as you want to. I pick don't worry

about things you or I can't change.

Man. If Peter Gammons is considered a hack around here then there must not be a single baseball writer that you guys respect.

So what if he has no direct proof Angelos pulled the bait and switch; this is an editorial piece. He is informing the rest of the country about what the vast majority of us Oriole fans already know, and using circumstantial evidence from credible sources in the past to back his opinion.

I'll defer to Occam's razor here. Which hypothesis contains fewer assumptions? The one where Angelos continued a trend of negotiating tactics with an agent/player as well as his own FO... or the one where every major figure referenced by the article (including the writer) is trying to slander/libel Peter Angelos?

I consider Gammons a hack because he is a hack. He's a Boston shill giving passes left and right to them and the Yankees. But any chance he has to bash the Os. He'll do it.

He's writing a piece he believes true. There was no bait and switch here, well no more then what Boston did last year with Napoli. Difference is the player and professionalism by that player. Balfour pisses and moans and stir the pot. That's who he is as a player. Napoli is a professional who does his job and doesn't raise much stink.

That's the huge difference here and EVERYBODY here is missing that. O's did the same thing Boston did last year but with a better deal.. a vesting option. But this is lost on the hacks and the PA haters. Balfour blew up the chance of deal still being done.

The B-sun ran something on their sports blog yesterday stating to the effect PA wanted Balfour and Balfour was the FO's primary target. You don't think PA and the FO are disappointed it happened this way in my opinion.

Well I AM a fan of Gammons, or at least the Gammons from 10 years ago. But what are you giving him the "benefit of the doubt" on? He hasn't reported a single new fact in this article. It's a commentary piece, nothing more, nothing less.

Frobby I respect you because you are usually a calm eye of reason in the tempestuous storm of Orioles fandom. But in this case it seems like you're not seeing the core situation here.

It might not be much more than commentary, but it's commentary based on a long, storied history of Peter Angelos using medical evidence to shut down deals he doesn't like. With that said, if folks are going on the record decrying Angelos' behavior after the fact and the current situation fits the previous set of behavior, why give Angelos the benefit of the doubt that he didn't do the same thing again?

That's what many of us are saying.

MSK

But he has nothing to do with the O's. If Balfour goes to another team and his arm

blows up after one year then what will you say? Of course you won't admit the

doctors were and that the O's were correct in pulling back the offer. IMO

Oh well Merry Christmas to you.

On the other hand if Balfour goes to the Yankees and has two solid years, what will you say? Nothing, because it will be two years from now and you will have forgotten about it. You will be busy assuring everyone that losing Wieters and Davis is no big deal, and the O's are WS bound. Amazing. As if the O's Dr's who interpreted this MRI, are the same ones who looked at Sele's, Hendricks' etc. and they can't be wrong. The MRI wasn't even saline saturated. People who can't see the PA fingerprints on this just aren't looking.

Does'nt mean that they are either. Until he or another writer cites a named or unnamed source that PA personally shot down the Balfour deal, I'll view this as conjecture.

How many more of these things are going to need to occur before you believe what I have since the first days of Pete? He is still a meddler.

Archived