Per Gammons: "Orioles culture... back to reality."

MemorialStadKid

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, and Rosenthal has a beef with the O's because he used to work at the Sun. And Jim Duquette from his time as GM. And Wren is speaking out because he used to be GM. And Schmuck because he's worked at the Sun so long. etc, etc, etc.

Let me put it like this, can you find anyone who formerly worked for the Orioles or the local media who doesn't have a foul taste from their experience with Angelos? Maybe MacPhail? I think MacPhail and Gillick are the only GMs that Angelos allowed to do their job with limited interference.

From what I have seen that is positive about the club right now is the Orioles main shrill Roch. Even the guy Steve on MASN has had negative stuff about the O's this off-season.

If Angelos is pulling out of a deal that is for 7 million a year.the orioles are in more trouble then we think. I don't think he would on this small deal. What happens when it is a big deal? Also ifthe team trading for Wieters can't sign him ,you are ot going to get what some peop;e think.

This requires that we'll ever see one. Who was the last big free agent get, Tejada?

From what I have seen that is positive about the club right now is the Orioles main shrill Roch. Even the guy Steve on MASN has had negative stuff about the O's this off-season.

Which is why I ask if you can find anyone who formerly worked for Angelos (can't blame Roch for wanting to keep his job.....and I think he's kept a good balance, calling him a shill is unfair).

Jim Duquette recalled signings and deals that were killed in the past, from Jeromy Burnitz to Xavier Hernandez to Aaron Sele to Mike Lowell (that killed trade for A.J. Burnett and Lowell) and Paul Konerko. Friday, on MLB Network, Frank Wren recalled his days as Oriole GM and contended that when a deal was consummated and Angelos decided he didn?t like it, his way of reversing agreements was to pull out the medical card. Oh, if Pat Gillick would talk?

I'd like to hear exactly what Jim Duquette said. I don't recall the Orioles killing any deal involving Konerko, I recall him accepting less than we had offered to stay with the White Sox. As to Lowell, I don't think there was ever a deal in place that was revoked due to medicals; rather, Lowell had well-known medical issues which, in 2005, caused his OPS to dip to .658. I don't think either of those situations is at all comparable to the others.

As to Wren, he is talking about 1998, when Angelos was far more visibly medddling in baseball decisions than he has over the last 6 years or so. We all know what kind of garbage Angelos was pulling in 1998, but I don't think that is very convincing evidence that he was involved in the decision regarding Balfour. By the way, what deals of Wren's did Angelos veto for medical reasons? None that I remember.

MacPhail cleaned up some of the mistakes. The traveling spring training show with no home. The minor league ballfield that other teams refused to play on in spring training.

And this:

In statements originally published in Thursday's Rochester Democrat and Chronicle and only slightly softened Friday, Silver says her franchise is prepared to end its 41-year relationship with the Orioles after next season for reasons of insufficient talent and confusing methodology.

"We've been playing ball here for a long time. And we understand how important the development process is. But it's probably been a few too many lean years in a row," Silver said Friday afternoon, one day after her interview critical of the Orioles appeared in the Democrat and Chronicle. "Many of us feel it would not have taken a great deal of change for this to have been a great club. However, without a couple veterans to lead the charge, it makes it abundantly more difficult to win."

A year after Orioles majority owner Peter Angelos came to Rochester to pledge an improved product - along with purchasing 100 season tickets at Frontier Field - Silver says this season's uninspired concoction is pushing the parties toward divorce.

"It's killing us," Silver said. "I believe [Angelos] understands our situation. I don't think he likes not having a winner at any level. I appreciated him coming in last year. But I think at some point we have to say regardless of what the intentions are, the proof is in the record."

Silver curtly rejected the Orioles' offer of a three-year extension in 1999 for a one-year arrangement. She re-upped for two years before this season because of Angelos' pledge of a greater commitment to her concerns. Now Silver, whose father owned the club before her, has joined the legions who wonder how the Orioles go about putting together their minor-league teams. First baseman Calvin Pickering became the first Red Wing since 1998 to make the International League All-Star team before being traded to the Cincinnati Reds on Thursday.

"We're tired of apologizing for what we have to put on the field," Silver told the Rochester paper earlier this month.

Hopefully,don't become a laughing stock again

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/200...frontier-field

Gammons is a Red Sox hack.

Huh? Do you think Gammons made this up? He's talked with former GMs. If you read my piece a few years back on Angelos' meddling, you'll find the things mentioned in this article sound a lot like what I mentioned. Hmmmmmmm??????

Which is why I don't like him.

But I doubt Jim Duquette and Frank Wren are.

Mike Lowell and Burnett? Jesus.

Angelos has no desire to win, only to line his pockets. What other evidence is needed at this point?

MSK

I don't disagree at all. The other problem Big Peter has always had is that he's a lawyer. He wants these deals to be locked up and fool-proof. Like the law. Never wants to accept any risk at all.

Well, not a Gammons fan, but you cannot deny any of this...

SOURCE: http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-gammons-balfour-physical-fiasco-brings-orioles-culture-back-to-reality/

That's it right there.

Angelos didn't like the deal, and went out of his way to find a reason to cancel it.

The meddling is here to stay until Angelos goes.

MSK

Yup. Either that or he was trying to use the medical report to get the agent to lower the already agreed upon dollar amount. Either way, this stinks of Angelos' meddling. Frank Wren's comments ring true. The organization is set to failure mode as long as the Angelos family interferes with the professionals.

OK, and Rosenthal has a beef with the O's because he used to work at the Sun. And Jim Duquette from his time as GM. And Wren is speaking out because he used to be GM. And Schmuck because he's worked at the Sun so long. etc, etc, etc.

Let me put it like this, can you find anyone who formerly worked for the Orioles or the local media who doesn't have a foul taste from their experience with Angelos? Maybe MacPhail? I think MacPhail and Gillick are the only GMs that Angelos allowed to do their job with limited interference.

Well, we know that's not true because Angelos nixed a deal Gillick made and then told Gillick to go for it. Gillick than made the trades that got the Orioles to the playoffs but he left shortly there after. MacPhail got some autonomy, more than most, but he too was unable to firing certain people in the organization of solve the player development vs scouting battle he had in the organization due to "untouchables" in player development and international scouting.

Archived