Dan Duquette Q&A

kyleott

Tremendous post, TonyS! My main takeaways are that DD is very confident in what he's doing, is really high on Lough and Urrutia, and is confident he can make the other additions he needs before the offseason ends. I'm going to hold him to that promise.
My favorite stories were Boras-Wieters and Ferreira-Schott. Dan's opening presentation was 12 minutes, running down his list of the core of the team. He then took 6 questions from the crowd for about 20 minutes. Another person kind of followed up my question, and asked which was his higher priority, a starter or a DH? Dan said, "I would lean toward a starting pitcher." He mentioned Johnny Monell as a possible DH.

Finally, if Dan was baseball commissioner for a day, he joked about the $17M salary and what that translates to for one day's work. Then he would like to "see a system that more evenly distributes the players' salaries so that a disproportionate amount of players' salaries is not concentrated in just a few. I'd like to see that distributed more evenly throughout the labor force, I think that would give us a better product and I think that would be more accepted and understood by the fans.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also attended the luncheon with Dan Duquette. Jim Henneman spoke afterwards about the Hall of Fame vote. Tony did a nice job covering most of the comments today. I took almost three pages of notes and have a few things to add.

DD attended the gold glove dinner where Manny, JJ and AJ received their awards. Brooks Robinson presented Manny his award, Ozzie Smith presented JJ with his and Willie Mays presented AJ with his award. Great choices for the presenters.

DD has been here a little over two years and he mentioned how the team had improved in 2012 and 2013.

He mentioned he had talked to Scott Boras yesterday and Boras made the comment about Wieters leading in hard hit balls that were outs and DD asked him if he was going to tell this to an arbitrator? Laughs followed. I would bet they also discussed Chris Davis and Kendrys Morales all represented by Boras. Morales was mentioned and DD said the players Nelson Cruz and Morales want the qualifying offer amounts and the loss of the 1st round pick is a lot to give up. He didn't say he was not interested in Morales so I think that's still a possibility.

He mentioned two different times he wants to sign a starter and reliever and add a left handed hitting DH and expects to add them. Arroyo, Rodney and Morales are my predictions.

He mentioned how their farm system/player development has improved with Manny, Gausman, Bundy and Harvey good examples. He mentioned going to see Harvey pitch in N.C before the draft with Herm Starrette. He struck out 18 the night they saw him. DD said Starrette told him not to mess with him if they draft him. Don't change anything. I think Harvey's father, a former pitcher, has him on track already.

He was asked about 2B and only mentioned Flaherty and Schoop. No mention of Jemile Weeks. Later when asked the question about the Johnson trade to Oakland he mentioned Weeks and said they see him as a utility player because he can play 2B, SS and CF.

He was asked if the NL will ever adopt the DH rule like the American League and said no.

If Tony S mentioned any of these I apologize for repeating the same comments.

Very nice event at Padonia Ale House by Press Box and they offered a nice buffet lunch for $15. This was my first time attending one of these and I will return in the future. The next time I will ask a question. I had a very good question for DD but didn't ask it.

Jim Henneman spoke about Cal playing short hurting Alan Trammel's bid for the Hall. Said he didn't have a problem with the voting and felt bad Biggio missed by two votes. Doesn't see the guys linked to steroids getting in the Hall. Was asked about Mussina's low vote count 20% compared to Glavine who was elected and said their records were similar. Didn't know why the voting was so much less for MM.

Stan asked DD and Jim about Paul Blair and they both had very nice comments about him as did Stan.

I also attended the luncheon with Dan Duquette. Jim Henneman spoke afterwards about the Hall of Fame vote. Tony did a nice job covering most of the comments today. I took almost three pages of notes and have a few things to add.

DD attended the gold glove dinner where Manny, JJ and AJ received their awards. Brooks Robinson presented Manny his award, Ozzie Smith presented JJ with his and Willie Mays presented AJ with his award. Great choices for the presenters.

DD has been here a little over two years and he mentioned how the team had improved in 2012 and 2013.

He mentioned he had talked to Scott Boras yesterday and Boras made the comment about Wieters leading in hard hit balls that were outs and DD asked him if he was going to tell this to an arbitrator? Laughs followed. I would bet they also discussed Chris Davis and Kendrys Morales all represented by Boras. Morales was mentioned and DD said the players Nelson Cruz and Morales want the qualifying offer amounts and the loss of the 1st round pick is a lot to give up. He didn't say he was not interested in Morales so I think that's still a possibility.

He mentioned two different times he wants to sign a starter and reliever and add a left handed hitting DH and expects to add them. Arroyo, Rodney and Morales are my predictions.

He mentioned how their farm system/player development has improved with Manny, Gausman, Bundy and Harvey good examples. He mentioned going to see Harvey pitch in N.C before the draft with Herm Starrette. He struck out 18 the night they saw him. DD said Starrette told him not to mess with him if they draft him. Don't change anything. I think Harvey's father, a former pitcher, has him on track already.

He was asked about 2B and only mentioned Flaherty and Schoop. No mention of Jemile Weeks. Later when asked the question about the Johnson trade to Oakland he mentioned Weeks and said they see him as a utility player because he can play 2B, SS and CF.

He was asked if the NL will ever adopt the DH rule like the American League and said no.

Very nice event at Padonia Ale House by Press Box and they offered a nice buffet lunch for $15. This was my first time attending one of these and I will return in the future. The next time I will ask a question. I had a very good question for DD but didn't ask it.

Jim Henneman spoke about Cal playing short hurting Alan Trammel's bid for the Hall. Said he didn't have a problem with the voting and felt bad Biggio missed by two votes. Doesn't see the guys linked to steroids getting in the Hall. Was asked about Mussina's low vote count 20% compared to Glavine who was elected and said their records were similar. Didn't know why the voting was so much less for MM.

Stan asked DD and Jim about Paul Blair and they both had very nice comments about him as did Stan.

Thanks for the additional info. Sound like it was a nice event.

What do you think it would cost he O's to sign Arroyo, Rodney and Morales? Sounds north of 30M/yr. Its hard to see the O's doing that IMO.

Thanks for the additional info. Sound like it was a nice event.

What do you think it would cost he O's to sign Arroyo, Rodney and Morales? Sounds north of 30M/yr. Its hard to see the O's doing that IMO.

Arroyo and Rodney would suit me just fine. Can't see those two for less than 15 per, regardless of years. Probably more like 20. That doesn't leave many marbles. His comments about Cruz and Morales seem to rule that out to me. Tony mentioned that Dan said about a trade. That seems much more likely to me. Maybe someone we've talked about but we all know Dan, probably someone completely out of left field

Incidentally, I haven't been able to edit my own posts the last week or so. What gives?

You switched from registered poster, to limited posting member at 500 posts. Glad you are still here. If you want to try the PLUS, just give me a pm and I will walk you through it.

Some repetition but that's cool, glad you went and commented. He mentioned he was honored that Brooks gave Manny the award and how Willie Mays talked on and on. Correct me on this, I think Dan quoted Don Buford who said there were two centerfielders in the league, Paul Blair and .....Paul Blair ;)

As to the DH Dan mentioned how he doubts we'll ever see the DH in the N.L. Several N.L. owners may not want to pay a hitter to sit on the bench and how the traditionalists may like the variety between the leagues.

I remember the Harvey comment, Herm told him, "Dan, he could have pitched for any team in the big leagues tonight. Dan, don't let anyone do too much with that boy, just let him pitch. "

There was a lot of murmuring and laughs after the first question about if there were frustrations with ownership. I'm shaking my head laughing and thinking no way he goes there in his answer, but talk about your "hanging sliders." I kind of laughed when the one man petitioned hard for Morales, and how we have to win now, and Dan's first comment was "umm, O.K." Then Dan went on to lay out the case that was on mlbtraderumors.

I had a few more questions as well, but went with one that I thought would let us know his thought process about priorities. No mention of A.J. Burnett. I would like to know how he defines "contention." Is it a winning record? Or does it mean having a real shot at the World Series? Simply being in the playoff chase most of the year? My sense is it is the last one.

Dan said he was hopeful about adding two pitchers and a DH. Hopeful. The tone was guarded, I guess in case it doesn't happen. It certainly wasn't a confident guarantee that I would hold him to keep. Talking about Gausman or McFarland as 5th starter, Hunter or O'Day as closer, and Monell as DH tells me he is prepared to roll with what he has in case he can't do more.

I have an mp4 of Dan's entire remarks but at 16MB it's too big to e-mail (sorry, Weams, I tried, buddy).

Some repetition but that's cool, glad you went and commented. He mentioned he was honored that Brooks gave Manny the award and how Willie Mays talked on and on.

As to the DH Dan mentioned how he doubts we'll ever see DH in the N.L. Several N.L. owners may not want to pay a hitter to sit on the bench and how the traditionalists may like the variety between the leagues.

I remember the Harvey comment, "Don't let anyone do too much with Hunter Harvey, just let him pitch. He can pitch for any team in the majors."

I had a few more questions as well, but went with one that I thought would let us know his thought process. No mention of A.J. Burnett.

Dan said he was hopeful about adding two pitchers and a DH. Hopeful. The tone was guarded, I guess in case it doesn't happen. It certainly wasn't a confident guarantee that I would hold him to keep. Talking about Gausman or McFarland as 5th starter, Hunter or O'Day as closer, and Monell as DH tells me he is prepared to roll with what he has in case he can't do more.

I have an mp4 of Dan's entire remarks but at 16MB it's too big to e-mail (sorry, Weams, I tried, buddy).

Email it to Dropbox! You know my yahoo account! Or better yet put it on soundcloud and I'll tweet the link here.

You switched from registered poster, to limited posting member at 500 posts. Glad you are still here. If you want to try the PLUS, just give me a pm and I will walk you through it.

Yeah - c'mon Nuggets, get your act in gear bro! weams - TCB, 24/7! :clap3:

The improved write-up is even better. Thanks Tony!

I like DD so much better than Andy McPhail because he seems so much more accessible and because of his commitment to Latin America (aka Fred Ferreira). I think we are in good hands long-term.

For next season, the payroll is what the payroll is? meaning, I'm not telling you all what it is, but we ain't stretching it. I hope there is still room for Burnett and bullpen arm. If we get Burnett, I will be very, very happy.

I think we all know what we are going to get from the core this year, assuming they stay healthy. The questions surround the starting pitching and Lough, Urrutia, Flaherty, Schoop. What are those guys going to give us? That will be the difference between getting a wild card or being below .500.

I had a few more questions as well, but went with one that I thought would let us know his thought process about priorities. No mention of A.J. Burnett. I would like to know how he defines "contention." Is it a winning record? Or does it mean having a real shot at the World Series? Simply being in the playoff chase most of the year? My sense is it is the last one.

Seems to me our goal is pretty simple: to be better than last year, when we were good but not good enough. And I don't see that we are there right now, though suprises do happen.

Some repetition but that's cool, glad you went and commented. He mentioned he was honored that Brooks gave Manny the award and how Willie Mays talked on and on. Correct me on this, I think Dan quoted Don Buford who said there were two centerfielders in the league, Paul Blair and .....Paul Blair ;)

As to the DH Dan mentioned how he doubts we'll ever see the DH in the N.L. Several N.L. owners may not want to pay a hitter to sit on the bench and how the traditionalists may like the variety between the leagues.

I remember the Harvey comment, "Don't let anyone do too much with Hunter Harvey, just let him pitch. He can pitch for any team in the majors."

There was a lot of murmuring and laughs after the first question about if there were frustrations with ownership. I'm shaking my head laughing and thinking no way he goes there in his answer, but talk about your "hanging sliders." I kind of laughed when the one man petitioned hard for Morales, and how we have to win now, and Dan's first comment was "umm, O.K." Then Dan went on to lay out the case that was on mlbtraderumors.

Thanks Tony and section 18! I agree with Tony here in that Dan's (and Buck's) mantra has been to develop prospects and that we are still evolving. They were both surprised (IMHO) that we did so well in 2012 (with a lot of luck assisting us along the way). Now we must keep up the momentum until Harvey, Bundy, Schoop, Gaus and Wright blossom before our eyes.

(sic) B E L E I V E!

Archived