Orioles have agreed to terms with OF Tyler Colvin

Greg

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is why he could not be a thirdbaseman. The Orioles were aware of the issue when they traded for him and it is one of the reasons that he was available.

But they let him pitch. :rofl:

I know, repetitive throwing is different then two innings of relief.

Still, he is evidence that guys with injuries do pass O's physicals.

You are aware that Davis has a less then clean medical history right?

Wait, you might not, you didn't know about Balfour and the Nats till a few minutes ago...

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-08-16/sports/bs-sp-orioles-davis-0817-20110816_1_shoulder-zach-britton-brian-matusz

I was aware of that. Once again, you brought up Davis. But whatever you need to do to make snide little cheap shots.

They made no effort to negotiate with him. Oakland did not want Balfour.

From what I heard on MOB network, Oakland didn't want a closer on a multiple year deal. They knew Balfour wasn't signing a 1 year deal. Maybe they didn't want Balfour. But that doesn't mean it was due to his health.

From what I heard on MOB network, Oakland didn't want a closer on a multiple year deal. They knew Balfour wasn't signing a 1 year deal. Maybe they didn't want Balfour. But that doesn't mean it was due to his health.

BeoeZ98CUAEXgpU.jpg

"This is Gold's Gym. Not a Baby Gym."

I believe that Balfour has some medical risk. Enough that Billy Beane paid 10 million for a guy who blew 9 saves last year.

Players have to certify that they are providing a complete medical history. The process is spelled out on page 58 of the CBA.

The player does not have give his complete record from his prior club. The CBA says he "MAY" and if he does he must certify it is complete. Which is actually more than I thought was required.

Here is where semantics matter. A history, even a complete history is not an examination. So the Orioles know what he has been diagnosed and treated for in the past that is very different then what his current condition is, don't you think? The medical history most of us regular people deal with is the one a Doctor makes you fill out on a first visit or one for an new insurance underwriter. Guess what on a 17 million $ insurance policy your going to have to pass their physical even after giving them a complete medical history.

The player does not have give his complete record from his prior club. The CBA says he "MAY" and if he does he must certify it is complete. Which is actually more than I thought was required.

Here is where semantics matter. A history, even a complete history is not an examination. So the Orioles know what he has been diagnosed and treated for in the past that is very different then what his current condition is, don't you think? The medical history most of us regular people deal with is the one a Doctor makes you fill out on a first visit or one for an new insurance underwriter. Guess what on a 17 million $ insurance policy your going to have to pass their physical even after giving them a complete medical history.

In your post #387 you stated that "They only saw what the players agent allowed them to see". I was pointing out that the new CBA changed that. Of course the player has the right to select to whom he shares medical information, but he isn't allowed to edit it. And in no way do all teams conform to the same standards or treatments.

Come on. Do you think Beane is going to come out and say that they don't want Balfour? The "multi-year" thing was for convenience. They are willing to sign set up guys for 2 years but not a closer? Really? They made no effort to sign him. None. Oakland didn't want Balfour.

I have to wonder if any of this is posturing. Since Colvin was given a Major League deal, do you think it was a "let's scoop him up now but still see if we can get something better instead" type signing. I know that's a major conspiracy theory that is 100% based on speculation, but you have to think there's some method to this crazyness.

Archived