Orioles have agreed to terms with OF Tyler Colvin

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>When was the last time an <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLB&src=hash">#MLB</a> team had multiple deals squashed by medicals in one off season? <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Ken Weinman (@KenWeinmanSport) <a href="
">January 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

When Tyler Colvin signs a Major League deal with another club, then I'll be concerned about our medical staff.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Yankees signed Tyler Colvin' date=' the first time any Yankee fan would even mention the guy would be at spring training when someone would ask, "Who's that guy out there wearing #59??"[/quote']

Along with the 40 other guys that the Yankees have signed. That No Yankee fan would recognize. Because they aren't Jeter or Mo or Andy or Jorge.

I'd like to think most of us here knew that Colvin's physical was going to be tricky. And with him having back problems I'd want us to be cautious especially since we gave him a ML deal. This isn't surprising to me at all, but the general public will now think this is some sort of ridiculous policy the O's have because of what happened with Balfour and the aftermath of that.

Looks like we're still looking to take him on a MiL deal but he's going to look elsewhere for another ML deal I guess.

Along with the 40 other guys that the Yankees have signed. That No Yankee fan would recognize. Because they aren't Jeter or Mo or Andy or Jorge.

Do you really think that? There are a lot of casual Yankee fans but some of them are some of the most astute baseball fans I know. Easy to knock on the Yankees and I hate them and all, but I don't think you are giving their fans enough credit.

Do you really think that? There are a lot of casual Yankee fans but some of them are some of the most astute baseball fans I know. Easy to knock on the Yankees and I hate them and all, but I don't think you are giving their fans enough credit.
Most of them love the apparel. Sorry. I disagree with you.

* Free-agent outfielder Tyler Colvin, who lost a potential major league deal with the Baltimore Orioles when the team raised questions about his physical, is sitting on a number of minor league offers, according to a source.

* Free-agent outfielder Tyler Colvin, who lost a potential major league deal with the Baltimore Orioles when the team raised questions about his physical, is sitting on a number of minor league offers, according to a source.

I hope he doesn't fall off his seat and hurt his back.

jon_heyman_normal.jpgJon Heyman@JonHeymanCBS<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">16s</small>

after finding tyler colvin still has back issue, orioles will give him a minors deal but no majors deal. so he remains a FA

If true, and I have no reason to think it's not, not sure why the Orioles are a laughing stock (according to some) for refusing the guarantee money to a guy with back issues.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>When was the last time an <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLB&src=hash">#MLB</a> team had multiple deals squashed by medicals in one off season? <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>? Ken Weinman (@KenWeinmanSport) <a href="
">January 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I couldn't care less.

If true, and I have no reason to think it's not, not sure why the Orioles are a laughing stock (according to some) for refusing the guarantee money to a guy with back issues.

The Colvin deal doesn't even get more than a 1-line mention among the national writers if not for the Balfour fiasco earlier in the off-season. The fact that he's sitting on multiple MiL offers right now just illustrates that nobody is going to give him a ML deal, and the O's were right to back out.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the market for Colvin was lukewarm to begin with, and the Orioles were always reported to be open to signing him to a different, minor league deal. It makes sense, then, that Troy Renck reports that the two sides might be coming to an agreement on another deal soon:

Colvin’s 2013 season was a disaster, as back injuries and ineffectiveness combined for a .160/.192/.280 campaign in which he only had 78 big league at-bats. But in 2012 He was stellar, posting a .858 OPS in 452 plate appearances. For a point of reference, here are a couple not-so-random OPS statistics from that same season:

Nelson Cruz: .779 OPS in 642 plate appearances

Kendrys Morales: .787 OPS in 522 plate appearances

To be sure that is total cherry-picking, but nevertheless the point is an interesting one: if Colvin gets healthy and rediscovers his stroke, he has elite talent at the plate. His career has been marred by ridiculous inconsistency, but this is a worthwhile gamble for the Orioles while they consider whether or not to pursue more firepower for their lineup.

http://fansided.com/2014/02/17/mlb-rumors-baltimore-orioles-might-sign-tyler-colvin/#!wlE2I

Archived