Boras & Wieters v. Smouse?

TonySoprano

No need to trade him. Chris might stay.
You keep alluding to this. Any reason to other than hoping against hope?

I know you are not that uninformed, if you think he ultimately leaves and he might, then that is fine. But I mean if you fell off the turnip truck yesterday and read his comments, he said repeatedly how much he loves it in Baltimore and would love to play the rest of his career there. And it is not the first time he has spoken that way. Now could he still leave? Sure. But it is certainly not hoping against hope.

Hoping against hope would be like hoping the Orioles are all in, to the hilt, on signing Tanaka. :D

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know you are not that uninformed, if you think he ultimately leaves and he might, then that is fine. But I mean if you fell off the turnip truck yesterday and read his comments, he said repeatedly how much he loves it in Baltimore and would love to play the rest of his career there. And it is not the first time he has spoken that way. Now could he still leave? Sure. But it is certainly not hoping against hope.

Hoping against hope would be like hoping the Orioles are all in, to the hilt, on signing Tanaka. :D

What makes me think that it might not be stock answers is how he mentioned that Boras works for him and if he wants to stay then Boras will work on that.

Why are you so set on trading Davis?

I'm not sure anyone wants to trade Davis, but it is reasonable to think his status should have been addressed sooner so that the opportunity was available to deal him with 2 years of control and coming off a monster 2013 campaign.

Then let's try wishful thinking. The other day on XM MLB he said "well you know, my agent is Scott Boras. The ball's in ownerships court". And I seem to recall Tbag saying how great it would be to play in B'more.

Then let's try wishful thinking. The other day on XM MLB he said "well you know, my agent is Scott Boras. The ball's in ownerships court". And I seem to recall Tbag saying how great it would be to play in B'more.

I think you'd have to be pretty tone deaf not be able to distinguish Davis' remarks this offseason from the kind of pro forma statements you typically get from players a year or two before free agency.

I think you'd have to be pretty tone deaf not be able to distinguish Davis' remarks this offseason from the kind of pro forma statements you typically get from players a year or two before free agency.
I think Davis would give us a team friendly deal, but not one that PA would approve. I don't see him extending.

Wow! Was that an exact quote? Or your paraphrase?

Maybe this is a reactive post, but Wieters is starting to tick me off. He is believing all the hype that he is better than he is. I would offer him a 4 year extension worth 10 per season. If he says no, then I either trade him, or to Weams' point, get two years of prime age value out of him and let him sign with the Yankees when his tank is worn out and his knees can't bend.

Back to the thread topic though, Smouse will absolutely destroy Wieters in court, and I believe deep down Boras knows that. You just don't get paid for defensive stats, no matter how god they are.

Maybe this is a reactive post, but Wieters is starting to tick me off. He is believing all the hype that he is better than he is. I would offer him a 4 year extension worth 10 per season. If he says no, then I either trade him, or to Weams' point, get two years of prime age value out of him and let him sign with the Yankees when his tank is worn out and his knees can't bend.

Back to the thread topic though, Smouse will absolutely destroy Wieters in court, and I believe deep down Boras knows that. You just don't get paid for defensive stats, no matter how god they are.

I think Boras knows that right on the surface. He wants no part of a hearing with that number. That is a starting point in negotiations.

Wow! Was that an exact quote? Or your paraphrase?
It was close to that, but yes it was a paraphrase. "The ball is in ownership's court", is exactly what he said. It was in the context of discussing both his and Witers' prospects for extension. He also reference the JJ trade as an example of the O's willingness to trade players they didn't think they could afford. Didn't seem too happy about that.

Well I guess the difference between Wieters and Davis is that Wieters was supposed to be the best prospect coming out the year he was drafted and probably has heard nothing but he was great his entire life. Chris had a good year in 2012 and a great year in 2013 after wondering perhaps he was going to be having a short baseball career before then.

"I think Peter [Angelos] and Dan [Duquette] and Buck [showalter] know how much I love Baltimore and how much my wife and I enjoy being out in the community. I’ve gotten to know a lot of people around there and I couldn’t ask for a better fan base. We obviously would love to be there long-term, but I understand it is a business, and that decision doesn’t rest solely on us.

"As far as I am concerned, I’d love to be here. I’d love to wear a Baltimore Orioles uniform for the rest of my career, but I don’t know if there were any talks about multi-year deals. It was brought up last year at one point, but nothing has come to a head on that yet.”

source - Dan Connolly

Archived