Boras & Wieters v. Smouse?

TonySoprano

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just kind of figure if you have Boras as an agent, you want a large contract. Why would you hire him otherwise? He probably gets a bigger percentage of the contract than other agents - so why would you hire him to negotiate a hometown discount?

But who really knows. Anything they say in public is just public relations stuff. Remember when the Ravens all had Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, and Bart Scott due for contracts all at the same time? And everyone thought Suggs was going to walk for the money? If I remember correctly, Suggs ended up taking a bit of a discount, Scott got a payday with the Jets, and Ray Lewis even was supposedly talking to the Cowboys for a minute since they were offering more money.

So, they very well may have to trade both. It really makes you appreciate Adam Jones taking a friendly contract, living and being part of the community, and being a leader.

That sure doesn't sound too aloof to me. It sounds like a guy who really wants to be here. It's up to the Orioles to make that happen.

Or it's the script talking. I don't think Scott Boras is Satan. I also don't think he's Shirley Temple. I take this with a grain of salt.

Wieters is a tough one. I think the fans love him, and he may be the best defensive catcher in the AL. The problem is, pretty much everyone knows the odds of him being an elite defensive everyday catcher by the end of the contract is slim and none. Additionally, his current offensive output is borderline for DH or 1B, which is where he likely ends up when he can't catch anymore.

With the contract he seems to want, he has the potential to be a large enough bust to make Brob seem like a steal.

Wieters is a tough one. I think the fans love him, and he may be the best defensive catcher in the AL. The problem is, pretty much everyone knows the odds of him being an elite defensive everyday catcher by the end of the contract is slim and none. Additionally, his current offensive output is borderline for DH or 1B, which is where he likely ends up when he can't catch anymore.

With the contract he seems to want, he has the potential to be a large enough bust to make Brob seem like a steal.

Exactly. Matt has been nowhere near the offensive force that everyone thought he'd be, and in another two years he's going to be past his prime offensively, AND his defense should start to decline as his body starts to break down. I am of the opinion that we should keep Matt for the next two years, then let him walk for the pick, unless he decides to sign a team friendly deal which we know he won't. I would right now, this offseason, before Opening Day 2014, use the BRob and JJ and other money that's off the books and sign Davis to a 5 year contract. You're taking a chance that last year was an anomaly, but he's the first real cleanup guy we've had in quite some time, he seemingly wants to stay, and he's a good dude. Pay Davis, let Wieters walk in 2 years.

Exactly. Matt has been nowhere near the offensive force that everyone thought he'd be, and in another two years he's going to be past his prime offensively, AND his defense should start to decline as his body starts to break down. I am of the opinion that we should keep Matt for the next two years, then let him walk for the pick, unless he decides to sign a team friendly deal which we know he won't. I would right now, this offseason, before Opening Day 2014, use the BRob and JJ and other money that's off the books and sign Davis to a 5 year contract. You're taking a chance that last year was an anomaly, but he's the first real cleanup guy we've had in quite some time, he seemingly wants to stay, and he's a good dude. Pay Davis, let Wieters walk in 2 years.

Good stuff. These two years will be a good value for him. I'll gladly take a pick.. And use the best years of his career as well.

I understand the business side of it, but damn Wieters must have an ego. He's more than $2 million apart from the team. He's not even worth that much.

Did he look at his stats last year?

It's the mid point between the two figures that matters. They have to prove he isn't worth 7.62M. Compare his offensive numbers the past 3 years to McCann's, who is currently making 17M per. They are very similar. I think they'll settle around 8M

It's the mid point between the two figures that matters. They have to prove he isn't worth 7.62M. Compare his offensive numbers the past 3 years to McCann's, who is currently making 17M per. They are very similar. I think they'll settle around 8M

I understand what it means, but thanks for clarifying.

IMO, just because McCan is overpaid doesn't mean that Wieters should be overpaid. 8M is overpay for me.

Archived