Yanks get Tanaka 7y/$155M

isestrex

If they get 130 games from both Jeter and Tex 100 runs is doable. 2013 Jeter only played 17 games and Tex 15

So we are just ignoring the fact that they are both another year older, have shown consistent decline even when healthy that that they have both missed significant time the last two years?

We are just ignoring that huh.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 2005 White Sox had a payroll of 75,228,000. That is well below 100M in 2014 dollars.

I said 2014 standards. In 2005 that was high. In 2005 we had only 3 teams with payrolls of 100m plus now we got 15 teams.

So they'll win 850 games? ;)

I think it's a mixed bag, for reasons I said earlier. They could improve their run differential substantially and still not improve their record.

I agree. Even with Tanaka, that starting rotation is full of question marks and they have no proven closer for the first time in 18yrs.

I agree. Even with Tanaka, that starting rotation is full of question marks and they have no proven closer for the first time in 18yrs.

Sounds like us too.

It feels as though a natural consequence of sharing a division with the Yankees is misplaced/misdirected anger. Spending $155 million on a Japanese pitcher whose natural skill set/repertoire, by all accounts, is not on par with Darvish, and who will need to make the same litany of adjustments that every Japanese player needs to make when jumping to MLB (e.g., different ball, more powerful lineups, etc.), is extremely risky, if not foolhardy.

But the real issue in this case is that the Yankees continue to spend money, while the Orioles do not, as opposed to who the Yankees are spending money on. I know some people here would have liked to sign Beltran...but would you have wanted to sign him for the years/dollars he Yankees gave him? Would you have wanted Ellsbury or McCann? Would you really, truly have wanted the O's to spend $22 million per year for Tanaka? As someone else mentioned, if Tanaka proves to be something other than one of the best 5-6 pitchers in the league, that contract is a drastic overpay.

For my part, I'm not upset that the Orioles haven't signed the players the Yankees signed for the years the Yankees offered those players. I'm upset because, even though they actually have almost nothing to do with one another, contracts like Tanaka's are just reminders that the Orioles won't spend on a guy like Garza, Jimenez, or Santana, let alone more than one. My anger doesn't emanate from the idea that the O's lost a bidding war in Tanaka's case that they should have won, but from the knowledge that the O's won't even engage in bidding for other players that could truly help them in 2014 and beyond.

In short, no reason to complain about the Tanaka contract, which I think is insane, but there are plenty of other reasons to be upset.

The Yankees got .229/.292/.397/.690 out of 1B last year. Their catchers hit .213/.289/.298/.587. At shortstop it was . 228/.286/.312/.598. Does anyone really objectively think Tex, McCann, and Jeter can't do better than that? Yes they'll have a big drop at 2B, but the price they paid for that is a big upgrade in the rotation with Tanaka.

To say the Yankees, on paper, aren't better than 2013 is to base that only on wishful thinking. They did what they always do, reload.

It feels as though a natural consequence of sharing a division with the Yankees is misplaced/misdirected anger. Spending $155 million on a Japanese pitcher whose natural skill set/repertoire, by all accounts, is not on par with Darvish, and who will need to make the same litany of adjustments that every Japanese player needs to make when jumping to MLB (e.g., different ball, more powerful lineups, etc.), is extremely risky, if not foolhardy.

But the real issue in this case is that the Yankees continue to spend money, while the Orioles do not, as opposed to who the Yankees are spending money on. I know some people here would have liked to sign Beltran...but would you have wanted to sign him for the years/dollars he Yankees gave him? Would you have wanted Ellsbury or McCann? Would you really, truly have wanted the O's to spend $22 million per year for Tanaka? As someone else mentioned, if Tanaka proves to be something other than one of the best 5-6 pitchers in the league, that contract is a drastic overpay.

For my part, I'm not upset that the Orioles haven't signed the players the Yankees signed for the years the Yankees offered those players. I'm upset because, even though they actually have almost nothing to do with one another, contracts like Tanaka's are just reminders that the Orioles won't spend on a guy like Garza, Jimenez, or Santana, let alone more than one. My anger doesn't emanate from the idea that the O's lost a bidding war in Tanaka's case that they should have won, but from the knowledge that the O's won't even engage in bidding for other players that could truly help them in 2014 and beyond.

In short, no reason to complain about the Tanaka contract, which I think is insane, but there are plenty of other reasons to be upset.

That is an exaggeration. He is currently 8th in AAV behind Kershaw, Verlander, Felix, Greinke, Hamels, Lee and CC. By the time his opt out hits in 4 years he might be 20th.

Archived