Yanks get Tanaka 7y/$155M

isestrex

Jeter and Texeiera were huge injury and decline risks at 39 and 33 years old. Are they less of an injury and decline risk at 40 and 34? McCann only played in 102 games last year; he'll be 30 years old at catcher, the same age as Mauer's last year at catcher before converting to 1B. Will the toll get easier as McCann gets older? Who replaces A-Rod's production at 3B and and Cano's at 2B? If you say Kelly Johnson and Brian Roberts you deserve to have people laugh in your face.
This was in my post that you responded to: "Yes they'll have a big drop at 2B, but the price they paid for that is a big upgrade in the rotation with Tanaka. "

Second, here was ARod's 2013 "production," all 44 games worth, .244/ .348 /.423 /.771. Kelly Johnson isn't that big of a downgrade from those numbers, not nearly on a Cano-Roberts level.

How long have we waited for Britton and Matusz to step up?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arroyo, Garza? The Os and Rays look like 4th and 5th place teams because they've done nothing while the Redsox and Yanks have masterminded a return to the playoffs.

The Rays seemingly almost always look like that...but they never are. I suspect they'll be in the thick of things, their pitching keeps them there.

This was in my post that you responded to: "Yes they'll have a big drop at 2B, but the price they paid for that is a big upgrade in the rotation with Tanaka. "

Second, here was ARod's 2013 "production," all 44 games worth, .244/ .348 /.423 /.771. Kelly Johnson isn't that big of a downgrade from those numbers, not nearly on a Cano-Roberts level.

If your argument is that A-Rod sucked and Johnson will only suck a little more...okay, I'll grant you that. But neither approach the potential of Manny Machado. You are right, we have waited for Britton and Matusz to step up. But, we also waited for Tillman to step up and that has worked out pretty well. I don't think Matusz is more than what he's shown - a good LOOGY - but Britton still has hope, if only IMO. And, you conveniently left out Gausman. Also, I didn't even mention McFarland, Wright, Ed-Rod, all of whom could contribute very soon. My point on this issue is that if I'm the O's, I'd rather be hoping on young guys with up-side to achieve it than old guys who only have down-side left, like the Yankees.

In addition to what you said about ARod's production, the other Yankees who filled 3B were pretty awful: .231/.293/.340 at 3B altogether (ARod included). Kelly Johnson is an upgrade over that group as a whole, even if he's not an upgrade over ARod.

I have to say, though, that an infield of Roberts, Jeter and Johnson is going to be pretty awful defensively. I'm seriously doubtful that Jeter will be able to handle SS anymore, after a year of relative inactivity and two surgeries at age 39. He already had the worst range of any regular SS, but I think he'll now be totally unacceptable, especially with Roberts and Johnson on either side of him. There's a reason why the Yankees signed light-hitting Brendan Ryan to a two-year deal. I'll bet he ends up playing more games than Jeter at SS.

In addition to what you said about ARod's production, the other Yankees who filled 3B were pretty awful: .231/.293/.340 at 3B altogether (ARod included). Kelly Johnson is an upgrade over that group as a whole, even if he's not an upgrade over ARod.

I have to say, though, that an infield of Roberts, Jeter and Johnson is going to be pretty awful defensively. I'm seriously doubtful that Jeter will be able to handle SS anymore, after a year of relative inactivity and two surgeries at age 39. He already had the worst range of any regular SS, but I think he'll now be totally unacceptable, especially with Roberts and Johnson on either side of him. There's a reason why the Yankees signed light-hitting Brendan Ryan to a two-year deal. I'll bet he ends up playing more games than Jeter at SS.

Ryan at SS and Jeter at 3B wouldn't surprise me, or be too horrible most likely. Then Johnson and Roberts could slug it out for 2B.

Yeah, Kelly Johnson has never really played 3B at the ML level...I doubt he is very good there. Roberts is going to be injured at some point. No doubt...the Yankees still have a lot of issues.

Agree with everything except the rotation. The Yanks rotation, as of today, is better. A thinner, old CC is still CC. he would be the best pitcher on the Orioles. Kuroda is old as well, but he is still remarkably solid.

Visualized it looks something like this:

CC

Tanaka

Kuroda Tillman

Nova Gausman

SP Chen

Gonzo

Norris

The Yankees top two are clearly an improvement over our top two. Add someone like Arroyo and that makes thins a little more equal. When you look at last year's numbers the Yanks and Orioles sat on opposite ends of the league average (The Yanks right above and the Orioles right below). The Orioles have youth, but they need someone who can eat innings and be a stabilizing force.

Tillman >> CC

Agree with everything except the rotation. The Yanks rotation, as of today, is better. A thinner, old CC is still CC. he would be the best pitcher on the Orioles. Kuroda is old as well, but he is still remarkably solid.

Visualized it looks something like this:

CC

Tanaka

Kuroda Tillman

Nova Gausman

SP Chen

Gonzo

Norris

The Yankees top two are clearly an improvement over our top two. Add someone like Arroyo and that makes thins a little more equal. When you look at last year's numbers the Yanks and Orioles sat on opposite ends of the league average (The Yanks right above and the Orioles right below). The Orioles have youth, but they need someone who can eat innings and be a stabilizing force.

How in the world is Gausman our no. 2 starter? Based on what? His 5.66 ERA from last year? His 7.66 ERA as a starter?

I know we all have high hopes for the long run future of Gausman, and some of his peripherals say he was better than his ERA showed, but there is no way I am penciling him in above Chen (4.04 career ERA) or Gonzo (3.58 ERA) for 2014. Heck, you might as well pencil him in above Tillman if you're going to just assume Gausman will be ready to make a big leap.

Tell you what, everyone who is throwing the last bit of dirt on the Yankees grave, make a prediction right now of how many games they will win, what place they will finish in AL East, and where the Orioles will be in relation.

Let's cut all this nonsense and get some real predictions of their "average at best" team with some concrete win totals attached to it. We will pull this thread up in about 10 months and see how accurate those predictions were.

The numbers Frobby posted about the injuries for them last year are insane. You are talking the equivalent of 10 players missing an entire season, a lot of them coming from their most valuable players.

And they STILL won 85 games.

How in the world is Gausman our no. 2 starter? Based on what? His 5.66 ERA from last year? His 7.66 ERA as a starter?

I know we all have high hopes for the long run future of Gausman, and some of his peripherals say he was better than his ERA showed, but there is no way I am penciling him in above Chen (4.04 career ERA) or Gonzo (3.58 ERA) for 2014. Heck, you might as well pencil him in above Tillman if you're going to just assume Gausman will be ready to make a big leap.

He got beat around no doubt. However, coming out of the pen in the second half he was pretty dang good. I get the feeling that he makes a leap, he might not be out "number 2" starter at the start of the season, I am taking a risk and saying he will be that guy by the end of the season.

Archived