For four spots:

Lough

Young

Reimold

Pegeuro

Urrutia

Berry

Pearce

There's a lot of permutations that don't involve either Young or Berry. Among the speed/defense guys I rank their odds as Lough first, Peguero second, Berry third. They won't keep more than two of these, and maybe only one. That's how it looks to me, anyway.

Reimold is the wild card. Whether or not he is healthy will determine a lot.

Assuming both guys are completely healthy and don't stink up the joint in spring training, I would hope to see Lough as the everyday LF and Reimold as the everyday DH (I'd like him to stay healthy by staying out of the outfield).

This would create maximum flexibility for the bench an would allow them to send Urrutia down to play the outfield every day. And don't forget, Urrutia is still learning to hit lefties as a LHH since giving up switch-hitting last year.

For four spots:

Lough

Young

Reimold

Pegeuro

Urrutia

Berry

Pearce

There's a lot of permutations that don't involve either Young or Berry. Among the speed/defense guys I rank their odds as Lough first, Peguero second, Berry third. They won't keep more than two of these, and maybe only one. That's how it looks to me, anyway.

Yeah, after Lough, the rest is pretty even and all depends on who is healthy and producing in ST.

Reimold is the wild card. Whether or not he is healthy will determine a lot.

Assuming both guys are completely healthy and don't stink up the joint in spring training, I would hope to see Lough as the everyday LF and Reimold as the everyday DH (I'd like him to stay healthy by staying out of the outfield).

This would create maximum flexibility for the bench an would allow them to send Urrutia down to play the outfield every day. And don't forget, Urrutia is still learning to hit lefties as a LHH since giving up switch-hitting last year.

Not sure Lough will be given the job daily, would not be surprised to see him with a platoon partner.

I know I am not the popular one around here when it come to my opinion but I think Lough would be a good choice to lead off. He's numbers are basically replacing McLouth.

McLouth was walked but not a lot, basically 1 out 10 plate appearances. But had a horrible batting average for a lead off guy. Sub .260. So for all those walks and hits he had last year, it equated to a .329 OBP.

Lough, walked 10 times last year, but batted .286. That gave him a .311 OBP.

All Lough has to do is walk 10 to 20 times more, So 20-30 walks next seasons and he's already an improvement at lead off then McLouth last year. Throw in the fact he played 96 games last year with 90 hits. That's put him on pace for more hits the McLouth had last year. Add that combo and you got a lead off hitter who may not wow us with what we are use to see with Brian Roberts or Brady Anderson before him.

In fact the prototypical lead off we grew up seeing doesn't really exist in the MLB for the last few years. All but 4 lead off hitters were below the .340 OBP, avg OBP was .329. Walks dropped, Strike outs went up.

So Lough can fill the McLouth hole and you can put Markakis in the 2 hole as he's good at putting wood on the ball so opens options for hit and runs to just plain old avoiding DPs, then move Manny to 3rd, Davis or Jones 4 and 5 and figure out where to put the rest.

I know I am not the popular one around here when it come to my opinion but I think Lough would be a good choice to lead off. He's numbers are basically replacing McLouth.

McLouth was walked but not a lot, basically 1 out 10 plate appearances. But had a horrible batting average for a lead off guy. Sub .260. So for all those walks and hits he had last year, it equated to a .329 OBP.

Lough, walked 10 times last year, but batted .286. That gave him a .311 OBP.

All Lough has to do is walk 10 to 20 times more, So 20-30 walks next seasons and he's already an improvement at lead off then McLouth last year. Throw in the fact he played 96 games last year with 90 hits. That's put him on pace for more hits the McLouth had last year. Add that combo and you got a lead off hitter who may not wow us with what we are use to see with Brian Roberts or Brady Anderson before him.

In fact the prototypical lead off we grew up seeing doesn't really exist in the MLB for the last few years. All but 4 lead off hitters were below the .340 OBP, avg OBP was .329. Walks dropped, Strike outs went up.

So Lough can fill the McLouth hole and you can put Markakis in the 2 hole as he's good at putting wood on the ball so opens options for hit and runs to just plain old avoiding DPs, then move Manny to 3rd, Davis or Jones 4 and 5 and figure out where to put the rest.

You make valid points, but for now, let's not put any more pressure on Lough to produce, he is still a prospect.

Let him bat in the bottom of the order and see what he does.

I think the battles look this way.

LF/4th OF (pick two)

Lough

Peguero

Reimold

Urrutia

DH/4th bench guy (pick two)

Reimold

Urrutia

Young

Pearce

Peguero

Almanzar

AAA bound

Bordon

Berry

Your guess is as good as anybody at this stage.

I don't share your optimism for Reimold making the team, sorry, I like the guy, but he has to prove his is totally 100% and producing.

Your guess is as good as anybody at this stage.

I don't share your optimism for Reimold making the team, sorry, I like the guy, but he has to prove his is totally 100% and producing.

I have not optimism that Reimold will make the team. I am just saying he is in the battles for the outfield, DH and bench roles.

You make valid points, but for now, let's not put any more pressure on Lough to produce, he is still a prospect.

I don't see it as putting pressure on him. For Lough, specifically, all you are asking of him is to 80-90% of what he did in the minors. Hell, his numbers in the PCL just points to a guy who's .340 OBP guy.

He's not a prospect. He finished in the top 10 in ROY voting last year. He's a sophomore.

FWIW, Lough started 16 games batting leadoff last year. He didn't do particularly well in that spot (.271/.297/.329), but it's a small sample size. The Royals mostly used him down in the order: 1 start at #3, 8 at #5, 17 at #6, 28 at #7, 4 at #8, and 6 at #9.

He's not a prospect. He finished in the top 10 in ROY voting last year. He's a sophomore.

He still isn't a polished veteran.

PCL league and a .340 OBP has to be taken into consideration for being the PCL league.

Like Frobby just pointed out, he doesn't have much leadoff bats under his belt at the major league level.

So why put pressure on him?

He still isn't a polished veteran.

PCL league and a .340 OBP has to be taken into consideration for being the PCL league.

Like Frobby just pointed out, he doesn't have much leadoff bats under his belt at the major league level.

So why put pressure on him?

I guess my question is, does a professional baseball player really feel pressure depending on where he is in the batting order?

This is the lineup I'd like to see:

1. Nick Markakis RF

2. Manny Machado 3B

3. Chris Davis 1B

4. Adam Jones CF

5. Matt Wieters C

6. Nolan Reimold DH

7. JJ Hardy SS

8. Ryan Flaherty 2B

9. David Lough LF

I think Reimold has to be considered an everyday player until he gets hurt (which he probably will). I do have to say, though, that this lineup would look a lot better with Morales or Cruz in that five spot. Then platoon Reimold in LF.

Archived