Orioles looking to go cheap WHATS NEW

Greg

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Joe Saunders who was pretty good for us in 2012 when he needed to be.. is bad.. Chris Capuano who is a good #5 (eats up innings) and we say the O's are cheap because they want value for money spent?

I am sure all of you go out and buy the new Iphone every year too, right?

If you like the IPhone analogy, then I guess Tanaka=new IPhone. No sane Oriole fan thought they had an once of a chance of coming home with him. Joe Saunders=virgin mobile flip phone with a 60 minute prepaid phone card. I am sure you are out shopping for one of those.

Perfect, let's hinge our 2014 season on that. Massive, massive failure of this offseason if this is the best asset added.
Were did I ever say hing an off season on him. I said he is worth having on a team. He might be BETTER than Bronson Arroyo and you don't know he wont be.

This off-season is a massive failure. Anything the teams does now will not change that.

Were did I ever say hing an off season on him. I said he is worth having on a team. He might be BETTER than Bronson Arroyo and you don't know he wont be.

This off-season is a massive failure. Anything the teams does now will not change that.

So if they are able to sign Santana or Jiminez for 3/36, you'd still call it a massive failure?

I'll take Saunders as the LOOGY out of the pen. Otherwise, I'm not interested in finding out if he can bounce back from his 5.27 ERA from last year. We can do the "might" thing all day long, but I thought we were attempting to assemble a roster that will compete for a division title.

I'll consider this offseason a failure even if Santana or Jiminez is added. First, Jiminez is consistently inconsistent and I have no confidence he'll perform at the level needed. Plus, the draft pick issue is huge for me.

And you would have been happy with which pitchers/players?

This is one of my favorite responses from posters. What's great is that the professional executive running the club has apparently adopted the same position. O, Woe is me there are 4-5 other teams bidding for the same guys we are. Perhaps engaging the Tigers for Fister using a guy like ERod as a chip. Possibly, Hudson, Colon, Vargas, Kazmir as a starter. Maybe go aggressive after a guy like Josh Johnson and hope he can rebound. Some really good names to strengthen the pen were out there. Maybe go for an offensive piece like Infante for 2B. Plenty of names out there that could have improved the club and I'm sure there were plenty of discussions beyond the scenes that we are not privy to. It's the GM's job to find opportunities to improve the club and I'm not going to excuse his performance because the market place was pricey.

Based on your question, I assume you feel DD is justified in letting the offseason pass at it has?

I'll take Saunders as the LOOGY out of the pen. Otherwise, I'm not interested in finding out if he can bounce back from his 5.27 ERA from last year. We can do the "might" thing all day long, but I thought we were attempting to assemble a roster that will compete for a division title.

I'll consider this offseason a failure even if Santana or Jiminez is added. First, Jiminez is consistently inconsistent and I have no confidence he'll perform at the level needed. Plus, the draft pick issue is huge for me.

I like Joe better than Troy Patton. And someone would give us something for the guy Big Papi has never gotten a hit off of if their team appears playoff bound.

I like Joe better than Troy Patton. And someone would give us something for the guy Big Papi has never gotten a hit off of if their team appears playoff bound.

Joe actually has really nice numbers against lefties but I don't think he's ready to accept that role. I'd gladly take Joe over Patton. BMat might be pitching every fifth day for us at this point.

Joe actually has really nice numbers against lefties but I don't think he's ready to accept that role. I'd gladly take Joe over Patton. BMat might be pitching every fifth day for us at this point.

I think you don't need to guarantee Joe a role. He is one of us. He likes us.

I have this old laptop, but it is a bit older. It's processor has a decent fastball. I like it. Dependable., works well. Any way, long story, southwest mangled it a bit two years back in baggage going to spring training. The case was cracked an some of the board mounts got broken. SO when I would press on it, the screen would lock. No blue screen. Just locked. No cursor movement. I got a new bottom to the case, but that did not fix it. Still same issue if I was typing away. My buddy at the computer shop told me I was nuts to keep fooling with it. Said buy a new one. But I like the way it works, when it works.

We found a new identical one on ebay from an open box place for a bit of nothing. So we hybrid it. Threw the hard drive in it. Added the extra ram. Seemed to work ok. Then it just kept getting the blue screen of death for three days. Was ready to throw in the towel.

Then it healed itself. Overnight. No issues. For a long long time.

I have an extra battery and a brand new screen and graphics card. Extra hard drive I can use for back up. Went through some hassle over it.

Maybe Joe heals himself.

This is one of my favorite responses from posters. What's great is that the professional executive running the club has apparently adopted the same position. O, Woe is me there are 4-5 other teams bidding for the same guys we are. Perhaps engaging the Tigers for Fister using a guy like ERod as a chip. Possibly, Hudson, Colon, Vargas, Kazmir as a starter. Maybe go aggressive after a guy like Josh Johnson and hope he can rebound. Some really good names to strengthen the pen were out there. Maybe go for an offensive piece like Infante for 2B. Plenty of names out there that could have improved the club and I'm sure there were plenty of discussions beyond the scenes that we are not privy to. It's the GM's job to find opportunities to improve the club and I'm not going to excuse his performance because the market place was pricey.

Based on your question, I assume you feel DD is justified in letting the offseason pass at it has?

When I hear names like Johnson, Vargas, Kazmir and Infante, then this post loses all credibility. I agree about Fister and Hudson, and would add M. Gonzalez to that list. After that, meh.

Jumping back to Capuano, when he has been healthy, as recently as 2012, he had a really nice 3 month run. Given it is the NL west, but I still would like to see a cheap one year deal for him and see if he could ride us along for a few months even until someone else is established would be a win by me.

The Orioles need more then Capuano in the rotation in my opinion, but he would be a potential bargain guy that I hope they get done.

Jumping back to Capuano, when he has been healthy, as recently as 2012, he had a really nice 3 month run. Given it is the NL west, but I still would like to see a cheap one year deal for him and see if he could ride us along for a few months even until someone else is established would be a win by me.

The Orioles need more then Capuano in the rotation in my opinion, but he would be a potential bargain guy that I hope they get done.

You need at least 8 SP you can feel comfortable about slotting in for a while. Right now we have 6 if you count Gausman and Britton. We need at least one more guy, who can pitch at leas as well as Norris.

So Joe Saunders who was pretty good for us in 2012 when he needed to be.. is bad.. Chris Capuano who is a good #5 (eats up innings) and we say the O's are cheap because they want value for money spent?

I am sure all of you go out and buy the new Iphone every year too, right?

Okay seriously stop. Just stop. We all see right through your "te team not spending money is good for them" agenda. But the way you continue to make horrendous and logically flawed arguments is insulting to all of us who have to read them. First you downplayed Delmon Young's anti Jewish attack as a drunken mistake that everyone has had. Then you made the argument that getting rid of Johnson and putting that money in peters pocket was in the teams best interest. Now you are arguing that Saunders makes sense for us NOW because of one start he made in 2012??? I have never seen such an obvious agenda accompanied by such pathetic arguments ever on this board until we met you. Try being objective for once and not looking at things through your I want PA to not spend money and not be blamed glasses.

When I hear names like Johnson, Vargas, Kazmir and Infante, then this post loses all credibility. I agree about Fister and Hudson, and would add M. Gonzalez to that list. After that, meh.

Ha, that's a funny post. Just spit balling some names, though I could care less about validation of my opinions. Point is, I think the "what would you have done?" response is a lame way to excuse a GM's inaction, and that is exactly when it is tossed out there. Billy Beane and Andrew Friedman make moves within limited budgets, some of which will work and some won't.

Archived