O's won't let lost draft pick keep them from pursuing free agents

Greg

Santana is wildly inconsistent? He was injured in 2009 and had poor numbers and only started 23 games. 3 of his last 4 years have been good. 3 of his last 4 yeas his ERA's been under 4 and his ERA + has been over 100. 3 of the last 4 years he's pitched 200 innings. He's started over 30 games the last 4 years.

He was actually the "very". 79+, 87+ and 74+ ERA's in 3 of that last 7 years would support that imo.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because I don't think Santana is any better than Chen or Gonzo, just a lot more expensive, I'd rather bet on Bundy, EdRod. and Wright, than commit to 36 M the next 3 years plus lose a pick.

He can pitch more innings than Gonzalez and Chen. If he can pitch as well as them but pitch later into games he is worth signing and losing the pick. It isn't like we can just create another Chen anyway.

Actually, no. The quote said trade or sign away. You lose competitive balance picks via trade and FA comp picks by signing other applicable free agents (the Yankees had three such picks -- for Cano, Granderson, and Kuroda -- and signed them all away via McCann, Ellsbury, and re-signing Kuroda).

The point was "good teams do not trade away comp picks, or forfeit comp picks via FA signings."

You are arguing to argue. Good teams don't have supplemental first round picks to trade away. That is my reply to the original poster. There have only been 12 first round supplemental picks that could possibly be traded away in the history of baseball. And plenty of good teams have signed guys in the past that cost them picks.

Everyone keeps comparing Gausman to Santana/Jimenez, but I think the more appropriate comparison is Norris to Santana/Jimenez. Does anyone really expect Norris to hold off Gausman for the whole season, let alone 3-4 years of the contract for Santana/Jimenez?

Either of those pitchers would be an nice upgrade over Norris.

I think Norris will pitch well this year. I don't think Gausman will push anyone out of the way. If he starts this year it is because we have no alternatives and I expect him to get shelled a few games and then sent back to the minors. I think Gausman would make a fine closer this year. He throw strikes and brings heat.

You are arguing to argue. Good teams don't have supplemental first round picks to trade away. That is my reply to the original poster. There have only been 12 first round supplemental picks that could possibly be traded away in the history of baseball. And plenty of good teams have signed guys in the past that cost them picks.

I think you misunderstand the original point to which you were responding. It's all good; no sense in pushing this convo forward.

Of course losing a draft pick won't be what stops us from signing a free agent, it will be the money that stops us

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Yeah that is what I have been saying. If we wanted to sign Morales or Santana we could have done it already. It is the money. We are waiting for their salaries to drop dramatically. I am sure another team will swoop them up somewhere between what they asking for now and what we are willing to pay.

Archived