Rosenthal says deal done Jimenez (4/$50M - Official)

Greg

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't that ridiculous? I mean, good for Feldman, but that's a little nuts.

Yep, but that's where the market is. Honestly, even if this contract doesn't work out well for the Orioles, DD has to be given credit for squeezing a lot of potential value out of a ballooning free agent market that the O's would have previously avoided.

I must have missed the part where Garza stated that he would have definitely pitched in Baltimore for $48 million. Pete doesn't pay pitchers, and Garza has a hard time staying on the hill.

And that his screw in his arm was guaranteed not to cause him difficulty. If it did, he'd just quit like Dempster.

Breakdown by month in 2013:

March/April: 7.13 ERA, 1.333 WHIP

May: 4.23 ERA, 1.373 WHIP

June: 3.09 ERA, 1.625 WHIP

July: 2.83 ERA, 1.360 WHIP

August: 3.10 ERA, 1.379 WHIP

September: 1.09 ERA, 1.016 WHIP

Oh man I love the September #/s A guy who gets better as the season goes is just what this staff of

late season faders needs :) JMHO

I'm not saying it's going to happen or would even be a good idea. But let's say hypothetically we sign Santana and then Morales, (or Morales and Santana) what would the host team of the third signing, get in terms of picks? Where would that take us in terms of payroll? +130M? And more importantly, would getting one or both of them do for us in terms of projected wins/loses? Not advocating the above, just thinking out loud.

We would give up our 2nd & 3rd round picks as well as the budgeted slot money that goes with each of them. Seattle & KC would receive a compensatory pick in between the 1st & 2nd round. Our prior picks simply disappear & the teams behind move forward.

Ubaldo has been inconsistent, but the bottom line is that the team gets better. We push Bud Norris out of the rotation. Not adding a veteran SP would have wasted a good chance at the playoffs with such a great defense and offense. Getting Jimenez is like protecting the investment which is the rest of our payroll.

How do we push Norris out of the rotation? It pushes him into the #5 slot and hopefully pushes Britton, Gausman, et al. from the rotation.

How is Garza a better pitcher?

Well, over the last three seasons, Garza has put up 5.5 WAR to Jimenez's 2.7. In 50 fewer innings.

And he didn't cost a draft pick.

I think this move is a mistake. The Orioles are going all-in (by giving up 2 picks and lots of money) with a team that's a fringy contender AFTER those moves. We're laying the groundwork to waste Manny Machado's prime in 2017-18.

I don't like it. There's a chance it'll work, but I don't like it.

This might actually push Yoon to a closer role???

I don't know what to make of Yoon at all, what with his mysterious shoulder injury history. I do hope that he becomes a solidifying force in the bullpen, though.

Of course, if he forces his way into the rotation, maybe you give Norris a shot at closing?

Well cut my legs off and call me shorty.

If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised as I am right now.

Duke making things happen when everyone thought all was lost.

Now get Morales and let's win the damn AL East!!!!!

LOL- I love it! Everyone on the board coming together! LOVE it! See what a signing or two can do for morale?

Go O's!

Archived