Rosenthal says deal done Jimenez (4/$50M - Official)

Greg

I think a major factor for DD is that Jimenez has made atleast 31 starts six straight seasons. Garza and a pin holding his arm together is a big concern. And the talk of Santana having a tear in his elbow probably ruled him out. Its alot of money, but other than Burnett on a 1 year deal, I think Jimenez has the most upside. And he's a srikeout pitcher. Something the Orioles dont have.

Good post. I think Garza and Santana would not have happened because of their injury concerns. I think we were all in on Burnett, and once he decided to stay in the NL, we turned our attention to Ubaldo. I am cautiously optimistic. I have always liked Ubaldo, but he had a bad stretch for a while before getting things back together last year. It's a risk, but I trust the guys in charge.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At his worst hes our #3, at his best hes almosr anyones #1. What are the odds our 1st rd pick in 2014 ever turns out to be at that level?? Very small. This deal is a nobrainer, sorry

Yeah. I can't believe anyone is complaining about this. Santana and him were the only two pitchers left and Santana was rumored to have injuries. We only had four starters. Getting him at this price and he strikes out guys left and right.

As we learned with Colvin (who we are getting), Webb, Yoon, Weeks, and Lough. A deal with the Orioles is a deal in the bank. Unless you have a bad arm. And want 15 million.

I'm a bitter old man. Don't mind me. But this is great news for us complainers. I'll take my crow raw if this ends up true.

Well cut my legs off and call me shorty.

If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised as I am right now.

Duke making things happen when everyone thought all was lost.

Now get Morales and let's win the damn AL East!!!!!

If the numbers reported are accurate, the Orioles have given Jimenez $2 million more per year than the Astros gave Feldman. Yes, it's for one additional year, but Feldman is also a year older than Ubaldo. Which would you rather have?

If true, this deal is nothing short of a coup for the Orioles in light of Ubaldo's upside. And people need to remember that Garza likely signed in this neighborhood (money-wise) due to concerns about his long-term health. A worry-free Garza probably would have commanded much more...and with guys at the "top" of the market signing deals that the Orioles wouldn't touch, getting a guy with "ace" potential for $12 million a year is rather astonishing.

Maybe it doesn't work out, and maybe the guys who get drafted in the 15-20 slots all turn into future all-stars, but at least moves like this signal the Orioles' willingness to compete during their current, competitive window.

Of course, he's hoping there's enough payroll room left over for Davis (whether in terms of an extension, or a FA contract)...especially if Hardy is extended first.

They could have had Matt Garza, who is a better pitcher and has pitched in the AL East, for the same kind of contract. I just don't get it.

I must have missed the part where Garza stated that he would have definitely pitched in Baltimore for $48 million. Pete doesn't pay pitchers, and Garza has a hard time staying on the hill.

Archived