Walks Are Not as Good as Hits

gpolee

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walks = Hits to me.

Now when I say this it's looking at the full game. The goal for any team is to "knock" the starter out as soon as possible. There is only two ways to do this (without an injury or running out of gas in the 7th), they are pitch count or scoring runs.

Pitch counts early in a game is vital to do this. I don't care if you give up 12 hits in 7 innings, you may not score a run against that pitcher. But having a pitcher go into the 5 inning at 100 pitches.. gets you to the other team's bullpen early in the game and pays dividends come games 2, 3 or 4 of the series.

A good example of this is Bud Norris on Aug 28th, 2013. His line was this:

IP: 5.1

Hits: 4

R: 1

ER: 1

HR: 0

BB: 4

K: 7

His only ER he gave up was from a BB. But because Norris was at 105 pitches (56 of them were balls), we had to go to the bullpen early.

Interesting that a HBP is slightly more valuable than a walk. Is that because the guy hit by the pitch is more likely to be pissed and steal second?
Better chance for a runner to advance on a HBP I'd assume.
I thought that at first, but a HBP is a dead ball.

Good point. I would speculate that the reason a hbp has historically been slightly more valuable than a walk is because pitchers are more likely to issue a walk as a result of strategy. We can see that an intentional walk (.193 in '12) is much less influential on runs created than an unintentional walk. The only explanation for this is the strategy behind why they issue intentional walks in the first place.

In a vacuum, a walk would = a hbp. But when measuring what actually happens. A walk is slightly more likely to be issued when it won't hurt you as much.

Good point. I would speculate that the reason a hbp has historically been slightly more valuable than a walk is because pitchers are more likely to issue a walk as a result of strategy. We can see that an intentional walk (.193 in '12) is much less influential on runs created than an unintentional walk. The only explanation for this is the strategy behind why they issue intentional walks in the first place.

In a vacuum, a walk would = a hbp. But when measuring what actually happens. A walk is slightly more likely to be issued when it won't hurt you as much.

That's some great freaking analysis right there. You're in the wrong thread man.

It really boils down to don't get yourself out.

We have a lot of guys that get themselves out trying to do too much.

That wasn't the argument. Outs are completely out of the equation.

Is a hit equal to a walk? In some situations, yes. In other situations, a hit is more valuable. Therefore, on the whole, a hit is more valuable than a walk.

If the Orioles finish the 2014 season in the top-5 in the league in BOTH hits AND walks, I think that they (walks and hits) could have a very harmonious relationship with each other. :hearts:

I doubt hits and walks will ever get along. If they did, what kind of offspring would they yield.

Archived