Walks Are Not as Good as Hits

gpolee

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please, some stat-head tell me...with all counting stats being equal besides BB/IBP, how many more runs will a team score over the course of a season with 9 players whose OBP is 5 points higher than another nine players? 1/2 of a run scored?

gpolee, I want to figure this out and give you an actual answer. But what do you mean by BB/IBP ?

Really? He's got the smiley face and everything. When the OP claims that "OBP just got dethroned" because he misread statistics, what kind of response should he get?

I didn't post my opinion of gpolee's post. And I don't want to derail the thread. I said earlier in this thread, that I was insulted by one of gpolee's comments.

Smiley or not, El Gordo's post here is clearly intending to prod gpolee with a stick and tick him off for the sake of El Gordo's entertainment. No big deal.

You are trolling me. If you had read this thread you would see that this has been my position from the beginning. Good luck with your aspirations to become a moderator though.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to moderate. I thought you'd read my post and think, "Yeah, yeah, he's right."

I have read the entire thread and you have been consistent.

walks are better than sex... John Wayne walks... Walks are better than runs... Long live obp! ... I think Buck should start fining players when they get too many hits.

You've made a compelling argument. I hope the O's stop swinging the bat this year.

Please, some stat-head tell me...with all counting stats being equal besides BB/IBP, how many more runs will a team score over the course of a season with 9 players whose OBP is 5 points higher than another nine players? 1/2 of a run scored?

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, if you're serious or just poking at "stat-heads"...

But if you take a team with a .254 average, a .325 OBP and a .388 SLG they will score something like 720 runs in a season. If you add 45 walks that bumps their OBP up five points and adds about 10 runs.

Really? He's got the smiley face and everything. When the OP claims that "OBP just got dethroned" because he misread statistics, what kind of response should he get?

OBP is throned because it has been an undervalued metric. It is now overvalued, hence these types of threads. I am coming around to respecting the walk though. I am still not a fan of the HBP.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, if you're serious or just poking at "stat-heads"...

But if you take a team with a .254 average, a .325 OBP and a .388 SLG they will score something like 720 runs in a season. If you add 45 walks that bumps their OBP up five points and adds about 10 runs.

So your quick math is 1 extra win?

And a tiny extra because the increased team walks would result in an increased number of team plate appearances.

And it's difficult to measure a tiny bit extra for how much the increased patience might've helped by getting past the starter, etc.

I know you don't care man. Just jokin'.

Somewhere in there is a dude I wouldn't mind getting a beer with, I'm pretty sure.

Or maybe a margarita. Because you know, it's salty.

Oh,I get on very well with real people. Like in three dimensions, you know?.

Archived