Walks Are Not as Good as Hits

gpolee

Please, some stat-head tell me...with all counting stats being equal besides BB/IBP, how many more runs will a team score over the course of a season with 9 players whose OBP is 5 points higher than another nine players? 1/2 of a run scored?

A typical team has about 6150 plate appearances in a year. An extra 5 points of OBP is maybe 30 extra walks and HBP. Normally a walk/HBP is worth about .3 runs. So, 5 points of OBP = approximately 9 runs, if everything else is equal. I'm sure that is a bit overly simplistic, and may slightly understate the effect on runs scored, but I think it's in the ballpark.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, if you're serious or just poking at "stat-heads"...

But if you take a team with a .254 average, a .325 OBP and a .388 SLG they will score something like 720 runs in a season. If you add 45 walks that bumps their OBP up five points and adds about 10 runs.

I am not poking. I am sincerely asking for the answer from someone who knows.

OK, here's one: Who do like better, Chris Johnson or Jason Kipnis?

Johnson: .321/.358/.457

Kipnis: .284/.366/.452

wOBA says: Johnson .354, Kipnis .357. OBP rules, baby!

Here's one - with players at the same position. Who do you like better, Frobby and Gordo? Don't look up wOBA first (i still haven't looked it up).

Jose Altuve: .283 .316 .363

Alberto Callaspo: .258 .333 .369

Here's one - with players at the same position. Who do you like better, Frobby and Gordo? Don't look up wOBA first (i still haven't looked it up).

Callaspo, and wOBA will agree. Higher OBP and higher SLG, no question.

I think it shows that 8 points in OBP trumps 37 points BA. A walk is better than a hit. :smile11:

I believe that you think that. A lot of people choose one single example as indisputable proof of their belief systems. here is another you can prove your point with

Mickey Tettleton .241 .369 .449

better than

Gary Carter .262 .335 .439

There's a spot in the Hall for FrootLoops!

I am a much better 3B, than Frobby even at my advanced age. I studied at Brooksie U. So I'd choose me. As to Altuve/Callaspo, I would choose Callaspo because he is a better defender than Altuve, as well as the better OBP.

I believe that you think that. A lot of people choose one single example as indisputable proof of their belief systems. here is another you can prove your point with

better than

Yeah, but like, what's his wOBA, man?

better than

Well, except that Carter was a great defensive catcher and Tettleton had trouble throwing the ball to second without an arc. Carter also had 50% more career plate appearances than Tettleton. Otherwise, spot-on.

Well, except that Carter was a great defensive catcher and Tettleton had trouble throwing the ball to second without an arc. Carter also had 50% more career plate appearances than Tettleton. Otherwise, spot-on.

Right. Better hitter does not mean better baseball player. I think there's a disconnect here. No doubt Tettleton was a better offensive player while he lasted, but he was clearly not even in the same realm in overall value.

Right. Better hitter does not mean better baseball player. I think there's a disconnect here. No doubt Tettleton was a better offensive player while he lasted, but he was clearly not even in the same realm in overall value.

But, he had a lower batting average.

Unsurprisingly, babypowder is right and you are wrong (again). Do you enjoy making a fool of yourself?

If you believe higher wOBA results in more wins than higher WAR...

If you believe that an AllStar is less valuable than a guy who can't hold a starting job...then you and babypowder are *right.*

But in real life, Callaspo sucks. Oh, and the Orioles would throw a parade if they could get Altuve to start at 2B this year.

Archived