Orioles Searching Outside Organization for Backup C (per Roch)

canonfaz

DD is always looking. Nothing wrong with that. This was reported over the winter, as well.

And I'm sure he's reviewing minor league rosters for potential power-hitting 1B prospects. I'm sure he'd love to re-sign Chris Davis, but if there's one thing we know about DD, he likes to have a plan E, F, and G ready to go.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we can get a backup that hits as well as Clevenger (or close to it) but plays better defense, then go for it. But we won't, because those guys are called "starting catchers."

Catcher defense is by far the most important factor in the backup catcher. But you can't just ignore offense. I think Clevenger has the chance to be a roughly average catcher, which with his bat, is plenty as a backup.

The other factor to consider is that Wieters does all his damage at the plate vs LHP. So we don't want to rest him vs those guys, which means the backup has to hit RHP. Not a lot of left-handed hitting backups out there...

I am really worried that Buck will just rest Wieters based on the day/night game conventions rather than the matchups, which is extremely irritating.

If we can get a backup that hits as well as Clevenger (or close to it) but plays better defense, then go for it. But we won't, because those guys are called "starting catchers."

Catcher defense is by far the most important factor in the backup catcher. But you can't just ignore offense. I think Clevenger has the chance to be a roughly average catcher, which with his bat, is plenty as a backup.

The other factor to consider is that Wieters does all his damage at the plate vs LHP. So we don't want to rest him vs those guys, which means the backup has to hit RHP. Not a lot of left-handed hitting backups out there...

I am really worried that Buck will just rest Wieters based on the day/night game conventions rather than the matchups, which is extremely irritating.

I'm not sure this is a convention in the same vein as the save rule or lefty-righty thing. Rather, catching is hard work. You'd rather a guy have a whole 24 hours of rest before doing it again. Matt's a horse, but I'm not sure this is a thing to break out the "Robo-Buck" moniker for.

Teagarden is 4-14 with 0 XBH with the Mets so far this spring. In case anyone was interested.

While I am interested in his numbers, and I wish him the best, nothing he does from this point forward will really make me question him not wearing the Orange and Black. The right decision was made to move on.

Well said. He's certainly not above criticism, but I sometimes think some of his biggest detractors on this board do not pay attention to the opposing teams' starting lineups when we play, particularly at the catcher position.

All I do is watch the opposing team's catcher. Line drive in play, I'm looking at the opposing team's catcher picking his nose at the end of the bench. Butcher a strike, I'm clearing out the room and losing friends complaining about the opposing catcher. After the game, I'm stalking the opposing team's catcher where his car is parked. Seriously, I know what the opposing catcher eats for breakfast, can't digest, likes to listen to Tuesday mornings, and the color of his favorite wallpaper. I track his every movement via satellite, bug all his belongings and have a team of underlings monitor his children at school. Prior to each stand I collect every baseball card of the opposing catcher, cut the eyes out, and stick them to my bedroom's ceiling. DON'T tell ME I don't "pay attention" to the opposing team's catcher! :)

I'm not sure this is a convention in the same vein as the save rule or lefty-righty thing. Rather, catching is hard work. You'd rather a guy have a whole 24 hours of rest before doing it again. Matt's a horse, but I'm not sure this is a thing to break out the "Robo-Buck" moniker for.

Oh I agree, and for catchers with relatively neutral splits it's not an issue. I actually think it's the smart thing to do. It's just that Wieters is SO much better vs LHP it calls for scheduling his offdays around the starting pitcher rather than the game times, IMO. If it requires a few more offdays for him to do that to avoid too many day games after night games, then that's fine.

Another thing to consider is that we already run Wieters into the ground, and I think are resigned to not re-signing him and aren't all that concerned about his long-term health as a very large catcher. Having him do some day games after night games shouldn't be a huge concern as long as he's getting enough off days to be fresh THIS year.

All I do is watch the opposing team's catcher. Line drive in play, I'm looking at the opposing team's catcher picking his nose at the end of the bench. Butcher a strike, I'm clearing out the room and losing friends complaining about the opposing catcher. After the game, I'm stalking the opposing team's catcher where his car is parked. Seriously, I know what the opposing catcher eats for breakfast, can't digest, likes to listen to Tuesday mornings, and the color of his favorite wallpaper. I track his every movement via satellite, bug all his belongings and have a team of underlings monitor his children at school. Prior to each stand I collect every baseball card of the opposing catcher, cut the eyes out, and stick them to my bedroom's ceiling. DON'T tell ME I don't "pay attention" to the opposing team's catcher! :)

One important omission here... do you know what his long-term desires are regarding his future with the opposing club? If not, how can you comfortably compare him to Wieters, who is 100% not interested in being here long-term...?!

I bet this report is off by half.

I believe the O's are looking for a catcher, but a developmental one. We theoretically have an arm or two to trade, and we have at most 2 more years with Wieters absent a resigning. If I'm DD, I'm looking to get a potential replacement at the AA level so I can trade Wieters likely after this season. It's too logical not to do. Ohlman may not be a catcher and Sisco is too far away.

Well said. He's certainly not above criticism, but I sometimes think some of his biggest detractors on this board do not pay attention to the opposing teams' starting lineups when we play, particularly at the catcher position.

Yeah, it does make me wish we'd have been able to convince ourselves to make room for Posey though.

Here's a candidate, I guess:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Phillies&src=hash">#Phillies</a> have released Lou Marson, meaning Wil Nieves will be the team's backup catcher.</p>— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) <a href="

">March 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/marsolo01.shtml

Here's a candidate, I guess:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Phillies&src=hash">#Phillies</a> have released Lou Marson, meaning Wil Nieves will be the team's backup catcher.</p>— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) <a href="

">March 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/marsolo01.shtml

Without looking at his stats or any scouting reports, I fully endorse having someone on the team named "Lou".

Without looking at his stats or any scouting reports, I fully endorse having someone on the team named "Lou".

Gahhh just keep Clevenger! Left-handed bat (start him against tough righties cause MW is better from the right side), decent power, young, cheap. Has had a terrific spring and doesn't seem terrible defensively.

Please don't pick up Marson (cool name notwithstanding) when we have two very solid in-house options at backup C.

Exactly. Clevenger seems like an ideal backup catcher for Wieters. Give him a chance to see if he can hit at the ML level in a platoon situation. Hopefully they are just looking for a minor league depth guy with ML experience.

Archived