Orioles have traded Alex Gonzalez to the Detroit Tigers

xian4

So, if Buck and DD think Schoop is ready, what will the Rangers give us for Flaherty?

Smart..perhaps you are onto something...seems like the love affair with Flaherty is lessening...

We have so many 2nd base options it is nuts: Casilla, Weeks, Flaherty, Lombardo, Cord Phelps, The guy from the Yankees....I am sure I am forgetting someone...geesh. Enough already! :)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Detroit needed a shortstop, OK? There's other players that can play second and third, but your first utility player needs to be able to play shortstop. It was the result of our infield depth, which allowed us to make this trade.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-executive-vice-president-dan-duquette-on-steve-lombardozzi-trade-and-manny-machado-20140324,0,7389262.story#ixzz2wtkQQJAk

Dan Duquette

I think your percentage is way off. Until the trade, Gonzalez had an outside shot at starting at 3B with Flaherty moving to second to start the year and had a good chance of making the team as a utility player. One scout told me he had "the best glove at SS and 3B besides the starters (Machado and Hardy)" and he was showing a decent bat this spring.

I don't necessarily think this trade is bad, but I'm guessing Gonzalez's lack of experience at second base became an issue. Still, this trade seems to indicate Duquette wants Schoop to start the year in AAA. In a vacuum, I guess I just don't see how Lombardozzi improves the team over Gonzalez. He's a versatile guy, but the lack of power and speed limits his value as a utility guy in my opinion. Honestly, I'd probably keep Castillo over Lombardozzi just because he brings speed to the table.

Gonzalez is a wretched hitter who is capable of being red hot for a few weeks, maybe a month, during the season at this point. He's also injury prone. Sure, Gonzalez would have likely made the team and played 3B for two or three weeks. But that would have been the extent of his value to the Orioles.

Lombo is younger, more flexible, has options. He has some upside if his ability to hit for average and get on base in the minors can translate a little bit in the majors. Lombardozzi may never be anything more than a utility man/pinch hitter only called up when injuries hit or during interleague play, but this trade was a definitive win by Duquette.

I think the Steve Lombardozzi trade sets the O's infield. Flaherty at 3B until Manny returns. JJ at short. Lombardozzi at 2b. Davis at 1b. When Manny returns Lombardozzi goes to the bench and/or platoons with Flaherty at 2B. Flaherty's value is greater because he can play ALL the infield positions.

I think the Steve Lombardozzi trade sets the O's infield. Flaherty at 3B until Manny returns. JJ at short. Lombardozzi at 2b. Davis at 1b. When Manny returns Lombardozzi goes to the bench and/or platoons with Flaherty at 2B. Flaherty's value is greater because he can play ALL the infield positions.

Yes, I agree that Lombardozzi will end up as the utility player. He did play about 20 games at SS in the minors, so who could fill in there short term.

20 games isn't much.

Duke was just quoted as saying your main backup inf has to be able to play short, first.

Well in that case our main back up inf will be our starting second baseman, Flaherty. Moving him over to short and bringing Lambardozzi off of the bench to play second means you won't lose anything defensively.

Archived