Family of 10-year-old files lawsuit against Baltimore Orioles

sevastras

I'm surprised more people aren't injured. Some of the foul balls that make it into the lower level box seats are absolute rockets. In this day and age it's hard to make the case that this would be surprising to anyone less isolated than say a Tibetian Yak herder though. I hope the little girl is OK.

I'm surprised more players aren't seriously injured or even killed, by batted balls, or HBP. Like Chapman this week. But in 150 years only one has been killed. Very few seriously injured. :noidea:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have not been to OPACY in many years. I use to have season tickets back in the 90's. When the gates are opened you can walk along Eutah Street, go into the warehouse. You're not allowed into seating bowl. The ushers don't tell you where to go. I'm going to guess they told them the seating bowl was closed for a couple hours and if they wanted to they could watch batting practice. I had never been told where I had to go before a game. There are flags hanging off the gates that say, watch out for batted ballscamden-eutaw-flagcourt.jpg

No offense to you Mark but GGGRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That high wall WAS NOT THERE last year! Replaced with the railing you can easily see through! Their lawyer is LYING that the little girl or ANYone could not see the field! To me this is why it is even LESS than frivolous! It is unfounded.

She was on the flag court 390 feet away from the batter.

She had 15 titanium plates inserted into her face.

Initial report last fall: She can't wear a helmet or ride a bike for the rest of her life.

Aug. 27, 2013: http://belair.patch.com/groups/sports/p/local-familys-night-at-the-ballpark-has-nightmare-ending

Sad no doubt! But tough ish. She/they took on the responsibility when they entered the stadium. A Place where they play a game where the baseball flies around any random place at over 100 MPH.

And I have to say... I HATE to be this callous! But caving in could set so many bad precedents. It's bad business, which this game most certainly is. The O's lawyers' hands are absolutely tied which course to take.

No offense to you Mark but GGGRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That high wall WAS NOT THERE last year! Replaced with the railing you can easily see through! Their lawyer is LYING that the little girl or ANYone could not see the field! To me this is why it is even LESS than frivolous! It is unfounded.

The picture is for the sign about looking out for batted balls. Look above the Guiness sign.

What you want to do morally and outside of law for someone who has an accident or whatever is up to you. If you wanna donate money to her.. go ahead. But in the court certain criteria have to met. In this case they have to prove without a doubt the Orioles and MSA were 100% responsible. This can't be proven just knowing they could have easily stood on Eutaw street until their section opened and thus not forced into harm but chose to be in harms way.

The standard is preponderance of the evidence in civil court. In other words, more likely than not. Without a doubt is not even the criminal standard which is beyond a reasonable doubt.

The standard is preponderance of the evidence in civil court. In other words, more likely than not. Without a doubt is not even the criminal standard which is beyond a reasonable doubt.

I heard a story about a high ranking Federal Judge who gave a talk to a group of law students at a well to do law school. He told the room, never take a single case for granted, when it comes to juries, you never know the real outcome until the verdict is read.

The poor girl's family is going to have a rude awakening when their health insurer comes calling and takes any recovery they get. I'm not even sure why they bothered suing, as their recovery would likely be spoken for, even if they did prevail (which, I agree, is extremely unlikely).

Also, here's a Sun article that mentions the change tot he railing...

Take a look. The short porch in right field has been made a little bit shorter to make it easier for fans to see the field ?with four feet of the 25-foot wall replaced by railing

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-03-24/sports/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-0325-20120324_1_ballpark-janet-marie-smith-fan-friendly

If you feel like reading, check the Bodine Lawsuit. Burglar fell through a skylight, sued for 8 million, settled for 260,00 and 1.2K a month for life.

There is also the case where the Juror hooked up with the murder suspect and was banging him at night, she voted to acquit and got the rest of the jury on her side, she eventually ended up sentence for 18 months.

There are other cases of stupidity.

Our justice system is the best in the world, but not without flaws.

Questions of pure fairness and absolute justice notwithstanding, if the little girl were to win the case and her family was spared the burden of medical and rehab costs, I would fine it hard to maintain any interest in scoring a philosophical victory.

Our justice system is the best in the world, but not without flaws.

I ( and I'm sure, many others) would have to disagree with you there. A case like this should be settled by a judge, who knows case law, not a jury of peers, who often ignore the case law and evidence that they are told is the most pertinent item of relevance because they feel sorry for the plaintiff. I will bet that if this is not settled before going to a jury trial, that their lawyer (if they have half a brain) will play on the jury's emotions using the little girl. It goes on all the time.

I ( and I'm sure, many others) would have to disagree with you there. A case like this should be settled by a judge, who knows case law, not a jury of peers, who often ignore the case law and evidence that they are told is the most pertinent item of relevance because they feel sorry for the plaintiff. I will bet that if this is not settled before going to a jury trial, that their lawyer (if they have half a brain) will play on the jury's emotions using the little girl. It goes on all the time.

I would agree with him. Our system has flaws but it's still the best.

Does everyone know that a ball from 390 feet away can cause the damage that this one caused?

I don't think that matters unless you can first prove that the Orioles and MSA were negligent in informing fans that they need to watch for said balls.

Archived