Schoop Making the Team

jtschrei

Why? According to Frobby he has less time he can be up this season, If he wants to avoid super two. 144 days to keep his clock from starting, 95 days for super two, unless we keep him down a lot next year.

He can be on the team of 144 games according to Frobby, correct? Or did I misunderstand his position on this. I assume that Schoop must be off the 25 man roster for ~30 days this season for it to work.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. 7 years of control vs. 6 is a big deal. Super-Two costs money, but doesn't cost the player.

As to Schoop, there will be opportunities (maybe even necessity) to send him down, beginning with when Manny returns. If he turns out to be so good that sending him to the minors is unthinkable, I'd love to have that problem. Frankly, I don't expect that.

That is what I thought you said. Thanks.

Agreed. 7 years of control vs. 6 is a big deal. Super-Two costs money, but doesn't cost the player.

As to Schoop, there will be opportunities (maybe even necessity) to send him down, beginning with when Manny returns. If he turns out to be so good that sending him to the minors is unthinkable, I'd love to have that problem. Frankly, I don't expect that.

He needs to start five days a week for me to be ok with him being kept on the roster.

Can someone please show me an instance when a player of Schoop's relative prospect ranking was held back to avoid Super 2 status.

You do it for top 10 guys, you don't do it for #82.

I don't get this logic. Do you think the Orioles care where BA rates Schoop amongst prospects? If they feel he will become an every day big leaguer, which I believe they do, why would they not want to get an additional year more of arbitration and control if they have viable options for this year?

I don't get this logic. Do you think the Orioles care where BA rates Schoop amongst prospects? If they feel he will become and every day big leaguer, which I believe they do, why would they not want to get an additional year more of arbitration and control if they have viable options for this year?

I was just using his rating to as shorthand to project his likely career arc.

I don't think Schoop is going to be the caliber of player that will earn a ton in arbitration. I think his value on this year's team will outweigh the additional compensation he may earn with the additional year of arbitration.

I am of course in favor of securing the additional year of team control.

I don't get this logic. Do you think the Orioles care where BA rates Schoop amongst prospects? If they feel he will become and every day big leaguer, which I believe they do, why would they not want to get an additional year more of arbitration and control if they have viable options for this year?

Depends on how big the gap is between Schoop and whoever else would play. If Flaherty is hitting decently when Manny returns, just move Flaherty back to 2B and send Schoop down even if he's holding his own. But if Flaherty is off to the ice-cold start he's had each of the last two years and Schoop is raking, you have to think twice.

What I find to be a little strange is the discussion of Schoop playing both at 2nd and at 3rd. If Manny is your 3rd baseman and he isn't supposed to be out too long, wouldn't it behoove us to have Schoop just settle in at 2nd and see if he can handle it as an everyday player?

If we're setting up the Manny to SS, Schoop to 3rd deal; I'd rather just see Schoop hone his craft at the hot corner down at AAA. As opposed to trying to focus on 2 different defensive positions and all the while to trying to learn/make adjustments to big league pitching.

I'm all for Schoop coming north but just make him the everyday 2nd baseman and see if can handle it.

I think we've seen that Duquette will play the players he think are best, even for the short-term, and worry about things like potential service time issues later. Maybe he think that if Schoop works out that won't be a huge deal because they'll extend him long before that 6th/7th year comes up.

What I find to be a little strange is the discussion of Schoop playing both at 2nd and at 3rd. If Manny is your 3rd baseman and he isn't supposed to be out too long, wouldn't it behoove us to have Schoop just settle in at 2nd and see if he can handle it as an everyday player?

If we're setting up the Manny to SS, Schoop to 3rd deal; I'd rather just see Schoop hone his craft at the hot corner down at AAA. As opposed to trying to focus on 2 different defensive positions and all the while to trying to learn/make adjustments to big league pitching.

I'm all for Schoop coming north but just make him the everyday 2nd baseman and see if can handle it.

Dan made a case last evening for a second baseman with extreme power.

The thing is if Schoop is tearing it up enough to be kept up when Manny comes back, he probably would be someone you'd like to maintain control over as long as possible.

I'm of a mind that you should play the service time game on ALL players. You never know how any prospect is going to progress. Look at Chris Davis. He was a middling or better prospect in Texas. No blue chip. But if they had gotten the 7th year we'd have him thru 2016 instead of 2015.

I'm of a mind that you should play the service time game on ALL players. You never know how any prospect is going to progress. Look at Chris Davis. He was a middling or better prospect in Texas. No blue chip. But if they had gotten the 7th year we'd have him thru 2016 instead of 2015.

What are you talking about, Scott? Crush was up and down between the majors and minors several times. He will have played parts of 8 different seasons in the majors to earn his six years of service time. If anything, Davis is the poster child for why you don't worry about service time. He was promoted to the majors after posting a .945 OPS in his first year after bring drafted (and following that season was the no. 65 prospect per BA) and a 1.029 OPS in AA/AAA for a half season the next year, and yet he still ended up having to go back to the minors for parts of the next three seasons. The odds that Schoop starts on our roster on opening day and never sees the minors again are pretty small for a guy who has been posting .700ish OPS's the last few years because he has been promoted aggressively. He's on our roster because he had a hot spring and Manny is hurt, but chances are high that he will return to finishing school at some point.

Archived