Lurking: Ryan Flaherty?

Frobby

Don't discount the possibility of Machado at 3B, Flaherty at SS, and Schoop at 2B. Flaherty has looked good when he's played SS and Buck was very complimentary of him at SS as well.

I've liked him there, too. Flaherty allows us to do many things and if he can hit we could have a very strong IF for many years.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Flaherty at SS with Manny at 3b and Jon at 2b makes a lot of sense if Flaherty can equal Hardy's offensive and defensive production...I think you expect more offensively from 3b, so of these three he makes the most sense there (unless Schoop bulks up even more and increases power).

I just love Manny at 3b, and the last season and a half has shown us what a rare glove like that at the hot corner can do to change games...

I would love to see Manny stay there if we have other good gloves to cover 2b and SS. To me, a good or great glove at SS and an elite glove at 3b > an elite glove at SS and a good or great glove at 3b. Manny gets to balls at third that people wouldn't blink at if a lesser glove didn't even come close to. That's where the difference lies. SS position has more time to react, so you can have a guy that's a half step slower almost equal production because he has a bit more time...

I've liked him there, too. Flaherty allows us to do many things and if he can hit we could have a very strong IF for many years.
I noticed last season when Buck needed to replace Hardy at SS he always went to Flash first. He is our next best SS and 3B and our best 2B. He wouldn't be Hardy but he could be a plus SS with 18-20 HR. The thing is right now we have Brooks II at 3B with 20 RS+ per year. Last season Hardy and Manny combined for 45 RS + on the left side of the IF. It is doubtful that Manny would produce that level of defense at SS. Possibly 10 RS+. So we would need to find a 3B who would give us 15 RS to equal what we could get from Flash at SS and Manny at 3B.

I think Flaherty at SS with Manny at 3b and Jon at 2b makes a lot of sense if Flaherty can equal Hardy's offensive and defensive production...I think you expect more offensively from 3b, so of these three he makes the most sense there (unless Schoop bulks up even more and increases power).

I just love Manny at 3b, and the last season and a half has shown us what a rare glove like that at the hot corner can do to change games...

I would love to see Manny stay there if we have other good gloves to cover 2b and SS. To me, a good or great glove at SS and an elite glove at 3b > an elite glove at SS and a good or great glove at 3b. Manny gets to balls at third that people wouldn't blink at if a lesser glove didn't even come close to. That's where the difference lies. SS position has more time to react, so you can have a guy that's a half step slower almost equal production because he has a bit more time...

I noticed last season when Buck needed to replace Hardy at SS he always went to Flash first. He is our next best SS and 3B and our best 2B. He wouldn't be Hardy but he could be a plus SS with 18-20 HR. The thing is right now we have Brooks II at 3B with 20 RS+ per year. Last season Hardy and Manny combined for 45 RS + on the left side of the IF. It is doubtful that Manny would produce that level of defense at SS. Possibly 10 RS+. So we would need to find a 3B who would give us 15 RS to equal what we could get from Flash at SS and Manny at 3B.

I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think there won't be a huge defensive drop off from Hardy to Flaherty at SS. In the minors, Flaherty played the majority of his games at SS only once, in 2008. How many plus shortstops are there who got moved off that position their second year in the minors? Answer: none. Flaherty is an adequate fill in but the gulf between him and Hardy defensively would be huge.

I wouldn't rule out a trade in the next year that nets another starting infielder. Just get that feeling. Maybe it's because they will want Flash to prove himself, maybe it's because Hardy hasn't signed the extension. I guess if the season goes south, maybe Hardy gets sent elsewhere. (Hate to even suggest a disappointing season, neg rep for me).

The other notion I have is that Manny has spoiled us at 3rd. So if he is healthy but not playing there, we will likely have to really adjust our expectations for the kind of performance shown by whoever else starts there.

I really like Flaherty and his glove, but compared to Manny no one will be able to fill his shoes at 3rd. Even normal defense there will seem sub-par now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I saw Flaherty in Sarasota during his first spring training with the birds. He hit couple of opposite field HRs and I thought he would become something special. Now I'm not so sure anymore. He's having a tough time with the off speed pitch. I hope he can adjust because he could really help the team.

I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think there won't be a huge defensive drop off from Hardy to Flaherty at SS. In the minors, Flaherty played the majority of his games at SS only once, in 2008. How many plus shortstops are there who got moved off that position their second year in the minors? Answer: none. Flaherty is an adequate fill in but the gulf between him and Hardy defensively would be huge.

Ryan might be the exception. Before last year did you really have any confidence at all in his ability to play defense at 2B? Many people did not. And I would say now he is well above average there.

I've seen him make some difficult plays at short, but the only question is can he do it on a consistent level like JJ has. Probably not but I'm willing to bet the drop off won't be huge.

[/indent
He's no Flash in the pan. (funny?) I think he's gonna be at 3rd til manny gets back, and still play a lot of 3rd when he is back, as I think Buck is gonna give Manny plenty of rest. I also think JJ will get more rest this season. Flash is gonna be a big piece of the puzzle.

I guess I'm the only person on the board who thinks Flaherty is what we have seen. I think he will not hit enough to be a regular in the future. He could be a utility IF for a few years, but it think a lot of the expectations for his offense are way, way overly optimistic.

Don't we HAVE to give Manny a look at short? What if he is nearly as good at short as third? Doesn't his value go way up?
Why would you want to move Brooks Robinson to SS? Especially when you can have Mike Bordick with power playing there for the next 3-4 years.

Archived