27 members have voted

1. 1. Project Delmon Young's OPS for 2014

• .775 or higher
    • .750-.774
    • .725-.749
    • .700-.724
    • .675-.699
    • Under .675

Kinda depends on how well they can manage his AB's against LHP. In general Buck isn't that disciplined at that imo and we have 2 guys with similar offensive skills.
Good point. Both Young and Pearce will see a lot of RHP since the only PH option is Clevenger and Buck would be reluctant to lose his back up C.

Good point. Both Young and Pearce will see a lot of RHP since the only PH option is Clevenger and Buck would be reluctant to lose his back up C.

I'm guessing Pearce is more likely to get the ph at bats while young will getting the starts vs. lhp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda depends on how well they can manage his AB's against LHP. In general Buck isn't that disciplined at that imo and we have 2 guys with similar offensive skills.

The difference being that Pearce never has had the ceiling that Delmon has had. He's come in with something to prove. To himself mainly. And being in the his best physical shape in years won't hurt. He's caught Buck's eye and they have some depth to trade if nothing else when it comes decision time is he's raking.

The difference being that Pearce never has had the ceiling that Delmon has had. He's come in with something to prove. To himself mainly. And being in the his best physical shape in years won't hurt. He's caught Buck's eye and they have some depth to trade if nothing else when it comes decision time is he's raking.

At 28 and after 8 years of replacement level play i'm inclined to think he is what he is. The more we can confine him to LHP and keep him off the field, the better for everybody imo. He'll see RHP and play the field to some degree and that will likely not be a good thing for us. I will be thrilled if he exceeds expectations and somehow performs up to his past upside and potential. I'm just not holding my breath about it.

At 28 and after 8 years of replacement level play i'm inclined to think he is what he is. The more we can confine him to LHP and keep him off the field, the better for everybody imo. He'll see RHP and play the field to some degree and that will likely not be a good thing for us. I will be thrilled if he exceeds expectations and somehow performs up to his past upside and potential. I'm just not holding my breath about it.

Agreed, as you said, I'd feel better about his chances if Buck was known to employ a strict platoon.

Agreed, as you said, I'd feel better about his chances if Buck was known to employ a strict platoon.

It's not just Buck either. It's more efficient manage LHB platoon guys than RHB platoon guys for the simple fact that there are RHP's than LHP's. I'm just not seeing much efficiency with Young/Pearce bench especially with Young's other deficiencies. Oh well, maybe Young has found Jesus, figured out where the gym is, and it'll all be great. I'll hope for the best.

• 8 months later...

Ha! We were both wrong about Delmon vs RHP. Although, I saw nothing in his approach to make me think it was anything more than an outlier. I'd still be leery of letting him get to many ABs period for fear of him being overexposed. If we bring him in as a full time DH it won't be pretty. I like the role Buck used him in last year.

Poll said: .750-.774

Actual: .779

Ha! We were both wrong about Delmon vs RHP. Although, I saw nothing in his approach to make me think it was anything more than an outlier. I'd still be leery of letting him get to many ABs period for fear of him being overexposed. If we bring him in as a full time DH it won't be pretty. I like the role Buck used him in last year.

He did do pretty well considering the general decline in offense and the exposure to RHP.

Archived