Schoop - The Blessing.

Ommaculate

4 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

He's off to a poor start, but it's early.  It's been six games.  Maybe Buck sits him against a righty to get Flash some PT.

For comparison, Anthony Rendon has an OPS lower than Schoop's by 42 points right now.  Let's be a little patient.

I think Flaherty is definitely going to be playing tonight.  He's the only hitter to not get in a game and we all know how Buck loves to get everyone involved at some point.  As for Schoop, I agree about being patient.  But even though it's still early, it's a little alarming to see him chasing pitches and falling into old habits.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

He's off to a poor start, but it's early.  It's been six games.  Maybe Buck sits him against a righty to get Flash some PT.

For comparison, Anthony Rendon has an OPS lower than Schoop's by 42 points right now.  Let's be a little patient.

I guess we have to be patient, but Schoop has been a poor hitter since the All-Star Break last year.  There's no way the O's should think about extending him.  Schoop is special as a defender, but as a hitter he has a lot to prove.  He might be trade bait since he's still young.

Schoop is going to hit and he's going to put up numbers.  The problem with him is that you can't count on him to work a pitcher for a good AB when we need it.  

It wouldn't be so bad if the majority of the lineup wasn't already like that.  Being that Schoop is still young we have all that he would become more selective.  That looks like it's not happening this year.  

o

(vs. RED SOX, April 12th)

NUMBER 1

JONATHAN RUFINO JEZUS SCHOOP

o

21 hours ago, tntoriole said:

one wonders if the WBC made any difference in our guys and their performance out of the gate so far...

Your implication certainly seems to be that they were adversely effected.  Schoop launched a bomb last night, obviously.  Other notable WBC hitters:

Jones - .286/.355/.571/.926 (157 OPS+)

Machado - .200/.310/.400/.710 (101 OPS+)

Castillo - .409/.435/.500/.835 (166 OPS+)

Doesn't seem like there's a reason in particular to fret over this.

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

(repost from game thread)

Roch telling us something?

The Boston press is trying to give Buck some heat about comments he made about the Sox whining about their bug.  I don't think he's insinuating that Schoop's been sick.

6 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

If you need any further evidence that it may have been a little too early to freak out about Schoop, then consider this...

Over the past two nights, his OPS has jumped 413 points, from .296 to .709. 

Right -- it's that time of year.   You really have to give it two months, in my opinion.    Maybe even a bit longer.   I do wish Schoop would be more selective with what he swings at.   

I loved that during the WBC Schoop's manager was Hensley Meulens, the Giants hitting coach.  If Schoop could blend just a little of that Giants contact line drive approach into his game, it could go a long way.  

There's obviously no walks yet, but his contact rate is up just a smidge to open the season.

Archived