Daniel Nava - RF

David Ortiz - DH

Yoenis Cespedes - LF

Mike Napoli - 1B

Xander Bogaerts - SS

Will Middlebrooks - 3B

Jemile Weeks - 2B

Christian Vazquez - C

Anthony R. Ranaudo - RHP (3-1, 4.63 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

5 innings.

1 run (solo home run.)

2 walks.

5 strikeouts.

This stat they keep citing of how many starts Tillman has made without allowing more than 3 ER is kind of stupid, IMO. They were showing a list of the longest such streaks by Orioles pitchers, and I noticed that Steve Barber had two long streaks (8/17/65 - 6/4/66 and 6/14/66 - 5/14/67) that were separated by one lone start in which he allowed more than three runs. That seemed super-impressive, until I looked at Barber's game logs and saw that his "streaks" included 6 or 7 games where Barber was yanked in 4 innings or less! Nothing that extreme has happened with Tillman, but he has been pulled after 5 IP three times during his current streak. To me, he hasn't been very sharp his last two starts (6 IP, 3 ER and 5 IP, 1 ER) even if his "streak" remains alive.

Completely agree with Frobby. Tillman has been less than impressive these past 2 starts. Throwing well over 100 pitches and struggling to get through 5 innings while handed an early lead, that was difficult/painful to watch.

That being said, he has really learned how to limit the damage. Even when he clearly doesn't have his best stuff, he knows how to get by. He definitely has matured in that regard and certainly deserves some credit for that.

Completely agree with Frobby. Tillman has been less than impressive these past 2 starts. Throwing well over 100 pitches and struggling to get through 5 innings while handed an early lead, that was difficult/painful to watch.

That being said, he has really learned how to limit the damage. Even when he clearly doesn't have his best stuff, he knows how to get by. He definitely has matured in that regard and certainly deserves some credit for that.

All true, but for this team, I think the last part is most important, particularly headed into the playoffs and all the "lack of ace" talk. If it's the case that even without his best stuff, Tillman can guy through 5 or 6 and give up 1 or 2 runs, with this bullpen, we should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This stat they keep citing of how many starts Tillman has made without allowing more than 3 ER is kind of stupid, IMO. They were showing a list of the longest such streaks by Orioles pitchers, and I noticed that Steve Barber had two long streaks (8/17/65 - 6/4/66 and 6/14/66 - 5/14/67) that were separated by one lone start in which he allowed more than three runs. That seemed super-impressive, until I looked at Barber's game logs and saw that his "streaks" included 6 or 7 games where Barber was yanked in 4 innings or less! Nothing that extreme has happened with Tillman, but he has been pulled after 5 IP three times during his current streak. To me, he hasn't been very sharp his last two starts (6 IP, 3 ER and 5 IP, 1 ER) even if his "streak" remains alive.

I don't think that the stat is completely useless, because Tillman (unlike Barber) has gone at least 5 innings in all of his starts during the streak.

If you add the "at least 5 innings" variable to the "3 runs or less," then you actually have something of substance

Hence, at worst, Tillman has been mediocre for 18 consecutive starts. And much more often than not (16 out of those 18 starts), he's been better than mediocre (at least pretty good) in terms of his final line of innings pitched and runs allowed.

Steve Barber had bouts with tendonitis. I'm not sure that he was "yanked" that many times during his streaks. I think that he was more than likely forced out due to his elbow. He didn't give up more than 3 runs on any of those occasions, so I don't think that "yanked" is the right terminology.

He only really labored in the 2nd pitch wise. At least it looks as if he's headed in the right direction as the playoffs approach.

I think that he was laboring a bit in the final inning a bit also, as Schilling pointed out after the wild pitch.

But, also as Schilling pointed out, what matters is what you do AFTER a bad pitch and/or can you get the key out(s) when you are tired ? Tillman was able to.

Archived