2014 Chris Tillman Today

Il BuonO

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't catch the game--how was his velo tonight? Breaking pitches? 3 hits in 7 IP and only 5 baserunners, pretty impressive while only striking out 2. Though 10 groundouts so lots of weak contact I'm guessing?

I notice they took him out after 84 pitches. Leaving a little in the tank for playoff ace duties, it seems. ;)

Chris Tillman, after tonight, has a 3.41 ERA and a 1.21 WHIP. There are 15 pitchers in the AL that currently have better numbers in both categories:

Here is how Tillman stacks up against potential number one pitchers on other playoff teams:

OAK - Lon Lester

LAA - Jered Weaver

KC - James Shields

DET - Max Scherzer

SEA - Felix Hernandez

NYY - Brandon McCarthy or Michael Pineda

CLE - Corey Kluber

TOR - R.A. Dickey or Mark Buehrle

How many of those games do you think are a real mismatch with Tillman on the mound? Not many.

Kluber scares me most. I think we wont see him in the postseason.

Couldn't catch the game--how was his velo tonight? Breaking pitches? 3 hits in 7 IP and only 5 baserunners, pretty impressive while only striking out 2. Though 10 groundouts so lots of weak contact I'm guessing?

I notice they took him out after 84 pitches. Leaving a little in the tank for playoff ace duties, it seems. ;)

Velocity was down from the last start where he dominated. 90-91. He did have a lot of weak contact but got lucky on a few, especially Adam's amazing play. He seemed to just miss off the corners a bunch tonight, but the ump seemed to have a small zone tonight though.

Tillman is having a ridiculously good year. His stats are skewed a little by a stretch of bad games he had while battling an injury earlier in the year. During that stretch he had a game where he pitched one inning and gave up 8 runs, and another where he pitched one inning, giving up 5 runs. It's been about 3 months since he's given up more than 3 earned runs in a game. great stuff.

I'd he commanded the zone well except for the change up. He threw one early in the game that sat up and I didn't see too many after that. It may have been because he had very good command of the curve.

Interesting that his CU comes in at around 75 mph and he threw many for first pitch strikes tonight often locking hitters up when he did. Once when he didn't he threw a slider at 86 mph on the very next pitch for a strike.

Tillman is having a ridiculously good year. His stats are skewed a little by a stretch of bad games he had while battling an injury earlier in the year. During that stretch he had a game where he pitched one inning and gave up 8 runs, and another where he pitched one inning, giving up 5 runs. It's been about 3 months since he's given up more than 3 earned runs in a game. great stuff.

I believe that he's been excellent since he was called up on July 4th, 2012.

Velocity was down from the last start where he dominated. 90-91. He did have a lot of weak contact but got lucky on a few, especially Adam's amazing play. He seemed to just miss off the corners a bunch tonight, but the ump seemed to have a small zone tonight though.

He got a bit unlucky the inning they scored the run though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classic TOR act last night.

3 game skid, ACE comes out and tosses the game he did. Of course, he had some great defense behind him.

It was another quality start for sure.

Bottom line, he stopped the bleeding and allow the team to as Fred Manfred so elegantly says, "BACK IN THE WIN COLUMN TONIGHT".

o

CHRIS TILLMAN O (vs. TWINS, 8/30)

IP:. 5

H:o 6 (1 Double, 5 Singles)

R:O 1

BB: 3

SO: 6

Pitches: 100 (60 Strikes, 40 Balls)

2014 ERA: 3.36

PITCHES BY INNINGS

22 (13 Strikes, 91 Balls)

16 (10 Strikes, 61 Balls)