The Reactionary Thread

Rene88

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love the stat geeks that love to tell how us how we don't miss Cruz. He is on pace to WIN THE TRIPLE CROWN!!! DD's heart was (is) in Toronto.

Most fans seem to realize this.

After listening to Baltimore sports media (mainly 105.7 and WBAL) and hearing countless call=ins from local Orioles fans, a lot of folks felt that DD was practically ignoring the Orioles because he was fully prepped to go to Toronto.

Everyone I speak to (outside of the OH) considers that a forgone conclusion.

But since there's no mathematical formula to determine DD's dedication to improving the Orioles during the past 5 months, the weight of opinion (on the OH) shifts to the Orioles' past three seasons of playing over their heads as an example of DD's genius.

Now we're back on Earth and it ain't pretty.

MSK

Right but would those savings have mattered about Miller and Cruz?

We need one of these outfielders to get going. The current plan isn't working.

Well, that's because it's not much of a plan. And it never was. A bunch of DD-fed excrement. Players who were easily identifiable as being subject to regression were instead hailed as dependable but cheap replacements for the real thing. Could see this coming out of spring training. I'm amazed at how many people bought it.

After listening to Baltimore sports media (mainly 105.7 and WBAL) and hearing countless call=ins from local Orioles fans, a lot of folks felt that DD was practically ignoring the Orioles because he was fully prepped to go to Toronto.

But since there's no mathematical formula to determine DD's dedication to improving the Orioles during the past 5 months, the weight of opinion (on the OH) shifts to the Orioles' past three seasons of playing over their heads as an example of DD's genius.

MSK

Everybody knows this. Just one question? Why would DD want to leave a team that just won the AL east? Could it be Peter Angelos didn't want to pay Cruz or Miller. Or wouldn't pull the trigger on a big F.A. deal?

MSK

The fans who think this believe that DD sets the budget and not the owner. Did Mike Rizzo sign Scherzer or was it the Lerner's money?

If you want to criticize DD, go ahead but it has nothing to do with Cruz and Miller, those were financial decisions not being lazy or ignoring his job. You honesty think that Angelos and Buck would sit around and allow their GM to dog it?

Well, that's because it's not much of a plan. And it never was. A bunch of DD-fed excrement. Players who were easily identifiable as being subject to regression were instead hailed as dependable but cheap replacements for the real thing.

:agree:

Could see this coming out of spring training. I'm amazed at how many people bought it.

I used to be shocked at the level of defending the Orioles FO gets on the OH. It's wild.

But then I realized two things:

1) Some folks truly believe the Orioles have no money, and that Baltimore is a small town on the same level as Kansas City (which leads to #2)...

2) On PAPER a lot of those dumpster diving moves and payroll drops and other lack of movements can be justified because #1 is considered to be the truth at all times.

According to stats, Snider, De Aza and Lough are adequate starters and Davis, Wieters and Machado would somehow magically rebound to lead the team to another championship run.

You know, because of math. Not your eyes. But... math.

Math tells us that we shouldn't believe that players like Cruz would help the Orioles 3 years from now. Math tells us Miller wouldn't be worth the WAR or VORP or HIV or whatever calculus formula determines why we never need to spend money on PROVEN talent.

sigh.

MSK

Everybody knows this. Just one question? Why would DD want to leave a team that just won the AL east? Could it be Peter Angelos didn't want to pay Cruz or Miller. Or wouldn't pull the trigger on a big F.A. deal?

Significant increase in responsibilities and compensation.

As long as this is the rant thread, allow me to point out that our farm system looks terrible. Some intriguing pitchers at Norfolk, granted, but there isn't a single impressive hitting prospect in the system. When Chris Parmelee is the only hitter in your system who might merit a callup, you are in trouble.

I used to be shocked at the level of defending the Orioles FO gets on the OH. It's wild.

1) Some folks truly believe the Orioles have no money, and that Baltimore is a small town on the same level as Kansas City (which leads to #2)...

2) On PAPER a lot of those dumpster diving moves and payroll drops and other lack of movements can be justified because #1 is considered to be the truth at all times.

According to stats, Snider, De Aza and Lough are adequate starters and Davis, Wieters and Machado would somehow magically rebound to lead the team to another championship run.

Math tells us that we shouldn't believe that players like Cruz would help the Orioles 3 years from now. Math tells us Miller wouldn't be worth the WAR or VORP or HIV or whatever calculus formula determines why we never need to spend money on PROVEN talent.

sigh.

MSK

At what point will you realize that the FO doesn't set the budget? If PA wanted Cruz and Miller back then why in the hell didn't he sign them? They were comfortable giving Cruz and Markakis 3 years, not 4. Why didn't Pete step in and say sign them, here is the money.

As long as this is the rant thread, allow me to point out that our farm system looks terrible. Some intriguing pitchers at Norfolk, granted, but there isn't a single impressive hitting prospect in the system. When Chris Parmelee is the only hitter in your system who might merit a callup, you are in trouble.

And that is an issue nit just for this year but next. They will need to add ad impact bat somehow by next year.

You don't find Jomar impressive?

sigh.

MSK

Actually, being wary of Miller and Cruz long term is also part of the eye test. They aren't elite talent. At least not yet. They had career years in 2014. Could it become the new norm, sure, but it is highly unlikely. Miller has trended better every year, but has also had extended DL trips almost every year.

And Cruz was elite for 3 months last year. And crap for 3 more. That doesn't bode well for long term success. Sure hitters will go into funks but Cruz was killing this team as much in July as he was helping it in April.

MSK

You can get off your soap box about the supposed math crowd. Was he negotiating with Toronto, probably. But you like to ignore that his off-season was similar to past offseasons. As for DD, it would be highly unethical to deliberately not improve the team he was working for. Doesn't look well for the team that wants to hire him, at least in my eyes. But there are plenty of people that cheat on their spouse and then are surprised when they get cheated on. And we will never know what happened, but if DD was truly so close to out the door, it was likely his power was severely restricted meaning that the rest of the FO was in charge and did not make the so called improvements you wanted.

Archived