The Reactionary Thread

Rene88

I think I'm as disappointed by this team's performance as anyone. And like every O's fan I'd love to have had Cruz or Miller or both on the team this year. But they aren't Orioles any more, and they won't help us win any games this year. From my perspective, there's no more to say about them right now that's interesting or constructive.

I for one am much more interested in hearing what this board's posters think about the guys who are on the team, or are in the system or might be acquired. Who should be played or benched or used differently or moved or platooned? Is anyone available on the farm? Is Coolbaugh part of the problem? Buck? Is Adam or are others not providing leadership that would make a difference (whatever that means)?

Part of my disappointment comes from my belief that there's enough talent on this team to compete in a division that doesn't have any teams without serious weaknesses and problems. And the season's far from over -- though if it continues along the lines of the last two night I'm not sure how much I can stand to watch. How would you fix this thing, other than getting Schoop and Wieters and Flaherty back? :scratchchinhmm:

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I'm as disappointed by this team's performance as anyone. And like every O's fan I'd love to have had Cruz or Miller or both on the team this year. But they aren't Orioles any more, and they won't help us win any games this year. From my perspective, there's no more to say about them right now that's interesting or constructive.

I for one am much more interested in hearing what this board's posters think about the guys who are on the team, or are in the system or might be acquired. Who should be played or benched or used differently or moved or platooned? Is anyone available on the farm? Is Coolbaugh part of the problem? Buck? Is Adam or are others not providing leadership that would make a difference (whatever that means)?

Part of my disappointment comes from my belief that there's enough talent on this team to compete in a division that doesn't have any teams without serious weaknesses and problems. And the season's far from over -- though if it continues along the lines of the last two night I'm not sure how much I can stand to watch. How would you fix this thing, other than getting Schoop and Wieters and Flaherty back? :scratchchinhmm:

One of the core problems with this team is the lack of corner outfielders who can hit and field at an average major league level.

Buck is trying different combinations out there, and nothing is working.

Going into the season, one might have hoped that there would be good corner outfield options at Norfolk--Reimold, Urrutia, Alvarez. But all three are having terrible seasons so far. Chris Parmelee is hitting but it seems doubtful that he can play well enough in the field to be a better option than Travis Snider or Delmon Young.

We might get better production at 2B when Schoop returns, and Tillman and Norris should pitch better than they have, but corner outfield seems destined to be a major problem for this team all season.

I personally would like to see Buck play Snider everyday for about 3 weeks straight and see what happens. DeAza makes some odd plays and at some point they may have to cut him. At the end of the day this team needs Tillman to step up and someone in the lineup to get going. Until we get some guys back off the DL there isn't much to do. Keep playing Pearce at second until his glove starts hurting us.

I keep looking at the other teams in the AL, not just our division and nobody stands out. KC is playing well but their starting pitching hasn't been great and I doubt they hit this well all year. The Astros are improved but I don't think this much. The Yanks are old, Tampa has no lineup and some starters out for the year. Boston and Toronto have pitching issues. We just can't dig ourselves to big of a hole.

Yeah-what the heck is going on? I have no intelligent commentary to explain what is going on with him. Does anyone?

Players change after injury. Remember Bo Jackson? I really hope that's not the case with MM.

Yeah-what the heck is going on? I have no intelligent commentary to explain what is going on with him. Does anyone?

See Mackey Sasser, Chuck Knoblauch, Steve Sax, Rick Ankiel or Steve Blass. "Yips" anyone?

The fans who think this believe that DD sets the budget and not the owner. Did Mike Rizzo sign Scherzer or was it the Lerner's money?

If you want to criticize DD, go ahead but it has nothing to do with Cruz and Miller, those were financial decisions not being lazy or ignoring his job. You honesty think that Angelos and Buck would sit around and allow their GM to dog it?

Toronto wanted Mike Rizzo too. The whole DD thing exploded because of Ken Rosenthal's mission to ride the subject mercilessly.

How would you fix this thing, other than getting Schoop and Wieters and Flaherty back? :scratchchinhmm:

I would play Snider daily. I would keep Mike Wright in the rotation until Gausman is back. Norris to the Ubaldo bullpen role. I would find a different catcher for Tillman until Wieters is back. I would move Wright to the pen when Gausman is back. Late pen. And I would trade De Aza, Navarro, Hunter and O'Day when the opportunity arises. I'm extending qualifying offers to Davis, and Chen and Wieters so I am not trading them no matter what.

That's what I would do. If Manny keeps erring, I would swap him and Paredes until their error totals are similar.

I would play Snider daily. I would keep Mike Wright in the rotation until Gausman is back. Norris to the Ubaldo bullpen role. I would find a different catcher for Tillman until Wieters is back. I would move Wright to the pen when Gausman is back. Late pen. And I would trade De Aza, Navarro, Hunter and O'Day when the opportunity arises. I'm extending qualifying offers to Davis, and Chen and Wieters so I am not trading them no matter what.

That's what I would do. If Manny keeps erring, I would swap him and Paredes until there error totals are similar.

There is a reason Snider isn't playing (but not sure what that has to do with anything).

Nobody is trading for De Aza.

At this point, MW would take the QO.

If Matt plays in 75 games this year I could see him taking the QO and rolling the dice.

I do not believe that Scott would allow it on his watch. I do not believe Boras would allow a first to break the union position on this.

I do not believe that Scott would allow it on his watch. I do not believe Boras would allow a first to break the union position on this.

Once again, it is not, ultimately, Scott's decision to make.

I don't think Matt wants to wait until March to sign a 1/8.3 make do contract with the O's.

Once again, it is not, ultimately, Scott's decision to make.

I don't think Matt wants to wait until March to sign a 1/8.3 make do contract with the O's.

I believe it is. I believe if you sign with him, you do it his way. With very few exceptions.

You make your point Crystal clear about the QO all the time. This is a union position, since when? How can anybody really have a discussion when you always come in and say No, no one will accept the QO?

Outside of Cuddyer, everyone else with a QO was coming off a decent year and was a sure bet to sign elsewhere. There hasn't been anyone in Davis or Wieters position with a QO. Different situations lead to different results.

You make your point Crystal clear about the QO all the time. This is a union position, since when? How can anybody really have a discussion when you always come in and say No, no one will accept the QO?

Outside of Cuddyer, everyone else with a QO was coming off a decent year and was a sure bet to sign elsewhere. There hasn't been anyone in Davis or Wieters position with a QO. Different situations lead to different results.

No one ever has. When they do, I'll back down. We all have our meme. You too.

Archived