Frobby

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

How Far the Mighty Athletics, Red Sox Have Fallen

(By Jayson Stark)

http://espn.go.com/blog/jayson-stark/post/_/id/927/how-far-the-mighty-as-red-sox-have-fallen

This is somewhat off-topic for this thread, but I just e-mailed Jayson Stark about the Red Sox-Astros portion of that article. His premise, that no 111-loss team has ever managed to outwin the defending World Series champs the following year, seems a little flimsy to me. (The Astros, who did indeed lose 111 last year, are one win better than the Red Sox with ten games to go).

I told him about a certain 107-loss team back in 1988 which rebounded to go 87-75 the following year, a far sight better than the 1989 Dodgers, managed to go just 77-83. We can quibble, I suppose, about whether it's more impressive for a 107-loss team to outwin the defending champs by ten games or for a 111-loss team to be one win better than the defending champs with ten games to go...but I'm going to side with my Birds.

Anyway, back to the topic. Boo, A's! Boo! I can't decide whether I want the chance to steamroll them in the playoffs, or whether I want them to miss the playoffs altogether. And I still hate their stupid uniforms.

• 2 weeks later...
o

How Far the Mighty Athletics, Red Sox Have Fallen

(By Jayson Stark)

http://espn.go.com/blog/jayson-stark/post/_/id/927/how-far-the-mighty-as-red-sox-have-fallen

As badly as the Athletics have played over the final 7 weeks of this 2014 season (they have gone 15-30 in those 7 weeks, for a .333 winning percentage), they can still clinch a wildcard playoff birth with a win against the Rangers tomorrow on the final game of the season.

Hey Donaldson, Manny comes up with that ball down the line. He also let's Colon's ball roll foul. Enjoy the winter.

This would have a lot more meaning if Machado was actually playing in the playoffs.

I miss Manny!!!?

Hey Donaldson, Manny comes up with that ball down the line. He also let's Colon's ball roll foul. Enjoy the winter.

I dislike Oakland as much as anyone after the debacle, and it really must suck for them to have an 8 WAR a year 3B making the league minimum. Donaldson is awful.

Archived