Hardy confused from lack of extension talk

SerenityNow

You are assuming a lot. Landis (Hardy's agent) and DD are not talking about what has or has not been discussed. Your outrage is based on Hardy's desire to sign an extension but you have no details about what has really happened.

I think Frobby is looking at it like a lawyer used to negotiating -- at least, I'm viewing it that way. Hardy has zero incentive to go public unless he and his agent feel that is the only way to get the team's attention. This isn't a leverage play; it sounds (to me) like a "not returning my emails/calls, let's see what the hell is going on" play. I've had to go the radio silence route before and it sucks for putting "good faith" negotiations back on track.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then you completely missed my point. It doesn't mean that at all. It means almost the opposite. This a business. Businesses can be friendly and like family in some ways, but it's not family. We're not obligated to keep the sick uncle or take in the spoiled rich kid.

I agree with you there. But successful businesses treat their employees with respect, especially the good employees.

Then you completely missed my point. It doesn't mean that at all. It means almost the opposite. This a business. Businesses can be friendly and like family in some ways, but it's not family. We're not obligated to keep the sick uncle or take in the spoiled rich kid.

I don't know what this has to do with anything. You are confident in the FO's ability to do business, and that teams/players don't view the Orioles in a negative light. To me, that means the FO should have no issue landing/keeping folks when they want to. Where is the disconnect?

I generally agree. That doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer a world where, all things equal, Baltimore is a spot players gravitate towards. I don't think that's currently our world; I could be wrong.

Shouldn't the way the O's are handling the Reimold situation be working in their favor with players? Any sensible, uncaring organization would have cut him loose during the offseason. To my eyes it looks like they are giving him a severance package and another year of MLB service time.

I don't know what this has to do with anything. You are confident in the FO's ability to do business, and that teams/players don't view the Orioles in a negative light. To me, that means the FO should have no issue landing/keeping folks when they want to. Where is the disconnect?

A guy one gave me advice about a prospective employer. "Is he hard to work for? Yeah. Would I do it for the right money? Yeah."

Dan Duquette was always bad at this stuff. It's the one red mark on his otherwise excellent resume. This is the kind of thing we have to live with on occasion while reaping the benefits of his good scouting/development/player acquisition skills.

Communication is not the strong suit. There's no excuse for not being honest with Hardy right now instead of letting him twist in the wind, but that's how Duquette rolls. Not much we can do but see how it plays out. Duquette has a lot money tied up right now and a lot of potential money to try and dole out very soon. It's one of the more complicated payroll situations we've seen here in some time.

Wasn't this task assigned to Brady?

Shouldn't the way the O's are handling the Reimold situation be working in their favor with players? Any sensible, uncaring organization would have cut him loose during the offseason. To my eyes it looks like they are giving him a severance package and another year of MLB service time.

What are the details?

Dan Duquette was always bad at this stuff. It's the one red mark on his otherwise excellent resume. This is the kind of thing we have to live with on occasion while reaping the benefits of his good scouting/development/player acquisition skills.

Communication is not the strong suit. There's no excuse for not being honest with Hardy right now instead of letting him twist in the wind, but that's how Duquette rolls.

Unfortunately, I suspect you are right about this. I just hope his positive attributes continue to outweigh the negative ones.

I agree with you there. But successful businesses treat their employees with respect, especially the good employees.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. The union/employer relationships always appears a bit strained to me. But we all know what happens when work place rules are dictated, and not negotiated.

As I said, I love your optimism (and think you are perceptive folks) so it's great for me to hear you express these thoughts, and I hope it means Baltimore will have little issue getting the FA it wants and extending the players it wants.

Again, that's not what it means at all. Nor should it be. There are too many cases when that's just not realistic. The process will be selective and dependent. A big part of that process is being able to walk away from guys you may like or want.

See my post #87.

What are the details?

Just that I don't expect him to play at all this season and yet the O's are paying him money that they could have easily avoided paying him while letting him accrue service time while on the DL.

Am I wrong in thinking that he is unlikely to contribute this season? (or ever again really)

To me that is taking care of a player.

Again, that's not what it means at all. Nor should it be. There are too many cases when that's just not realistic. The process will be selective and dependent. A big part of that process is being able to walk away from guys you may like or want.

If you are walking away than you don't want them. I'm talking about players you want to sign, and instead they choose to walk away.

Archived