No outrage over AJ's defense?!?!

Flacco Machado

AJ is the best CF this team has had since Brady. Enough said.

All these people that are so critical of him, I wonder if they are so perfect themselves?

Regardless of whether or not Jones is one of the best center fielders in recent Orioles history, he's absolutely fair game for criticism if his play warrants.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like AJ, and agree he's the best all-around CF we've had since Brady, but that doesn't mean he's above criticism, even by people who aren't perfect themselves. He did not have a good day in the field yesterday, and so, he'll get criticized. Comes with the territory.

Frobby, and I get that part of it, but you have to agree, calling for him to get bench as a message, was just too over the top.

Fortunately managing the locker room is---not sure what would be gained by continually harping on Jones's positioning and limitations on getting to balls behind him. They went through trying to get him to correct it, and it appears he is more comfortable playing in and/or the org feels the benefits of him playing in (through outfield assists and limiting runner advancement) outweighs the negatives that come along for the ride.

Yeah, I wonder what the deal is there. The coaches position the IF and OF but it's pretty obvious from his past comments that he has flexibility on his own. Laterally he seems fine to me but i'm not sure he's any better coming in than going out. It also seems like he doesn't charge and throw all that well. So maybe it's a comfort factor and would be a wash anyways.

I like AJ, and agree he's the best all-around CF we've had since Brady, but that doesn't mean he's above criticism, even by people who aren't perfect themselves. He did not have a good day in the field yesterday, and so, he'll get criticized. Comes with the territory.

No one on this team is above reproach. I'm in full agreement Frobby. I also agree he deserves criticism for his performance yesterday. Putting him in the same category as Bryce Harper and Andruw Jones about 10 years ago (Bobby Cox pulled him in the middle of an inning for not hustling to a fly ball) is absurd. The guy routinely runs out ground balls, disrespects his body to make catches, and he's always one of the 2 or 3 best offensive players on the team. Suggesting that he get benched is ridiculous.

Yeah, I wonder what the deal is there. The coaches position the IF and OF but it's pretty obvious from his past comments that he has flexibility on his own. Laterally he seems fine to me but i'm not sure he's any better coming in than going out. It also seems like he doesn't charge and throw all that well. So maybe it's a comfort factor and would be a wash anyways.

Doesn't agree with what I've seen of AJ over the last few years.

He needs to be benched?!?! Inflated ego?!?! He does not go nonchalantly after fly balls. He has ALWAYS been an aggressive swinger at the plate. That approach played to a .285 batting average, 33 HR, and 108 RBI last season. He's consistently improved since 2010. A ball he was sprinting for hit the heel of his glove and bounced out. There was nothing nonchalant about that. Now, he underestimated the wind yesterday and got burned on a few deep balls. None of that warrants getting benched or is a reflection of Jones' ego or effort. That's ridiculous. Want to see Buck Showalter lose the clubhouse? Benching Adam Jones would do it for sure.

This. Thanks.

No one on this team is above reproach. I'm in full agreement Frobby. I also agree he deserves criticism for his performance yesterday. Putting him in the same category as Bryce Harper and Andruw Jones about 10 years ago (Bobby Cox pulled him in the middle of an inning for not hustling to a fly ball) is absurd. The guy routinely runs out ground balls, disrespects his body to make catches, and he's always one of the 2 or 3 best offensive players on the team. Suggesting that he get benched is ridiculous.

I think some people get tired of seeing the same shortcomings/mistakes, and those are magnified when your misreads gives the impression you are coasting to the ball. I don't agree with calling for Jones to be benched, but I can understand why it's frustrating for some to see him to struggle to reach balls behind him when he is gliding and misreads the flight of the ball.

I think that after some time players are what they are. Either deal with it or get someone else. I feel that way with AJ. He isn't going to stop swinging at SL in the dirt and he isn't going to improve appreciably with the glove. So be it. I'll take the 30 HR and 100 RBI and put up with the rest.

I know this won't go down well, but I still can't accept his one-hand catches (along with many other O's outfielders). I guess the instructors don't emphasize using two hands any more.

In ninth grade for the first time I had a coach say to me, "Your hands a way too good for you to waste time/actions getting in front of every single ball." Sometimes the instructors just start giving different instructions. As far as outfielders running down balls, you can reach a lot further with one hand than you can with two.

Guest rochester

The great things about technology is that we can see every misread, inning, pitch, out, error, etc. for every game of the year, and some spring games. We also get to rehash the vids over and over again... then, discuss it even more on great sites like these. Momentary Lapses of Reason aside, there is no doubt IMO that every single Oriole gives it his best all the time - whether it looks like it or the result appears different does not change that. He should have made the catch, he looked horrible not doing so, but not for one second do I believe he was not giving his best.

Archived