Johan Santana topping out at 87mph in simulated game

xian4

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a starter? He'll need another few weeks to get into the 90-100 pitch range.

I might be wrong here, but I'm guessing they could add him to the 40-man roster, put him on the disabled list, and send him out for a rehab assignment.

I might be wrong here, but I'm guessing they could add him to the 40-man roster, put him on the disabled list, and send him out for a rehab assignment.

You sir are a smart man. I hope that's how they'll work it. Reasonable dates would be for him to start a rehab assignment around June 1st. Then be an option for the team as either a starter or reliever by July 1st.

Yeah, that would make sense. Still, I wouldn't declare being on a rehab assignment as being "up."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Showalter said Johan Santana threw another extended spring game -- said it went OK, didn't pitch as well as his last time out but felt fine.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">May 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah, that would make sense. Still, I wouldn't declare being on a rehab assignment as being "up."

His contract language is probably fairly specific on what constitutes being in the major leagues. If he's getting paid the ML salary he agreed to and he's not ready to start in the majors, there's not much to be gained by becoming a free agent.

You sir are a smart man. I hope that's how they'll work it. Reasonable dates would be for him to start a rehab assignment around June 1st. Then be an option for the team as either a starter or reliever by July 1st.

Do we have a pool for his first day with the Orioles?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Showalter said Johan Santana threw another extended spring game -- said it went OK, didn't pitch as well as his last time out but felt fine.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="
">May 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

We covered that is posts # 84 and # 85 on the previous page:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/140785-Johan-Santana-topping-out-at-87mph-in-simulated-game/page6

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>johan santana will throw again for orioles thursday in extended spring. has june 1 opt out.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">May 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

For all this attention we're giving to Santana, I think the most likely outcome is that he ends up like this other LHP recovering from a shoulder injury--John Danks.

Some Danks numbers from 2014:

FB velocity - 87.7

CH velocity - 79.2

ERA - 5.64

FIP - 5.09

xFIP - 4.96

SIERRA - 4.75

Santana has missed more bats in his career than Danks, but will Johan be able to miss as many bats when he's topping out in the mid-upper 80's?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>johan santana will throw again for orioles thursday in extended spring. has june 1 opt out.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

This may be his last Extended ST start but they could let him throw the one on the 22nd then again the next week and add him to the 40 man and DL him before June 1st. He should probably get 5 starts between the minors then be in the discussion for the O's around July 1st.

If he can't even pitch in the minors by now I guess it is best if he opts out.

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read........unless that was a sublime attempt at sarcasm, which I highly doubt it was.

What is stupid is that people thinks he is going to come and be effective this year. He hasn't pitched effectively in the big leagues since 2010. He still hasn't even thrown a minor league inning this year. Just release him already.

Archived