Johan Santana topping out at 87mph in simulated game

xian4

I know it is "Bleacher Report" and all, but this article has a specific timetable with Johann in the O's rotation beginning mid-June. This is the first I have heard that the team has a concrete plan for him:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/ddb4V?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=baltimore-orioles

Exciting if true. I would love to have Johann in the rotation and Miguel taking the TJ McFarland slot in the bullpen.

I thought I heard something about this last season, when Buck said Gonzo is one of those guys who takes too long to loosen up, so he wouldn't make a good addition to the pen.

Apologies if my memory has gone senile.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O's Starters: Pitch well or lose your spot.

June could be a month of change for the O's starters.

If Gausman has two more good starts he may be done with AAA. He is scheduled to pitch on May 30 and June 4th. If he does well in both starts that could make him ready for a start in with the O's on June 9th. (Just my guess)

A schedule as been released for Johan Santana that shows him ready for a start in the majors on June 18th.

So who goes to make room for these two starters? Its up to them. Who is not pitching well? Current starters could be pushed to the pen or AAA and relievers could be pushed to AAA.

Here are the pitchers on the current staff who have options and can be sent down without their permission:

McFarland, Brach, Guilmet, Webb, Gonzalez and Norris.

Of course this is all contingent on Gausman and Santana pitching well has they get ready for the majors.

I know it is "Bleacher Report" and all, but this article has a specific timetable with Johann in the O's rotation beginning mid-June. This is the first I have heard that the team has a concrete plan for him:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/ddb4V?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=baltimore-orioles

Exciting if true. I would love to have Johann in the rotation and Miguel taking the TJ McFarland slot in the bullpen.

ESPN radio said the Orioles have a 3 week schedule for him to be ready to pitch in the majors.

ESPN radio said the Orioles have a 3 week schedule for him to be ready to pitch in the majors.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Os have a plan w Johan Santana. Not agreed upon yet. If it is he'll pitch June 2 in ext spring. June 8 w AAA and June 13 at AA. By June 18?</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">May 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>No word yet on if Johan Santana has opted out of his deal w Orioles. Club still working on a few things with that.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">June 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>No word on whether Johan Santana will push back opt out date. Duquette said still working on it and has till midnight tomorrow <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">June 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

This won't be pushed back. Thorne just alluded to Buck talking about it coming down to money.

They need to work out a deal or he walks.

Yeah heard that, I would be flabbergasted if they lose him at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought they had a contract worked out. After all this, he and his agent, are going to squeeze the O's over the opt out date. They can, but they shouldn't.

Just remember when the fans complain the owners treat it like a business the player's do as well. Johan has over 100 million in career earnings, some might think that more money shouldn't be forefront in his decision process.

Yeah, but the question is, are the Orioles holding Johan back or is he on a normal progression. If he's on a normal progression and is just a little behind then he shouldn't be holding the O's feet to the fire. Does Johan actually believe he's ready to pitch in the majors today? Both he and the O's knew this was going to happen weeks ago. Can't believe there is some last minute thing now. If so, they should have let him go 3 weeks ago and let him rehab with someone else.

My guess is that Johan's agent is just using the opt out date as leverage to obtain some type of additional compensation.

Unless there is something behind the scenes we do not know I figure its about the agent using circumstances to their benefit.

Santana has the opportunity to earn $4.7M in a little over 3 months under the O's contract with him if he pitches well. Not bad for a 35 year old pitcher coming off shoulder surgery who has not pitched in a year and a half.

And if he does pitch well he sets himself up for a bigger pay day in free agency this fall. I'd say don't get greedy with the team that has helped put him in this position.

I think the issue is guaranteed ML starts. I don' see who in the rotation is removed for the Santana experiment. Even Yoon is starting to look good at AAA.

Santana has to show me he can get guys out at AAA before I mess with the ML rotation.

There are other teams that would be a better fit for Santana, and that's probably what his agent is working on.

Archived