Johan Santana topping out at 87mph in simulated game

xian4

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Santana could be w the Orioles by June 18 if everything goes well and he agrees to the plan.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">May 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A small sampling of the expectations for Johan follow:

I think it will be at least another month before we know if Santana is ready to pitch in the majors. There are plenty of pitchers with plus changeups and command who have succeeded with a fastball that tops out in the high '80's. But that doesn't mean Santana will be one of them. And I surely don't expect Santana to "dominate" in the big leagues. If he could post a 4ish ERA that would be about the best I'd hope for.
I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but its still a long way from extended spring hitters to AAA to MLB hitters . At best, it would be something of a minor miracle to see him dominate at this level again.I don't anticipate Santana being a bg factor with the O's this year, though of course,Id like to be wrong.
I guess I don't get the excitement... 6 hits, 2 Runs in 4.1 innings against scrubs, an 86-88 mph fastball.

Nice story, but I don't see him contributing at ML level

Don't need to experience another Freddy Garcia moment.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>BTW, Showalter said if the decision is up to him, he sees Johan Santana as a starter only, But he said it wouldn't just be his decision</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">May 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Link? I don't see many here expecting too much.....

Touch?. I think I was mainly responding to a few posts in this and other threads that included someone saying he would be better than Most of our current starters. You are right in that it is relatively few posters.

Touch?. I think I was mainly responding to a few posts in this and other threads that included someone saying he would be better than Most of our current starters. You are right in that it is relatively few posters.

At this rate? He might actually end up be better.

At this rate? He might actually end up be better.

I think there's a higher probability he gets his brains beat out and finishes the year on the DL. Occasionally an older, seriously injured pitcher has something left to give after significant time away. But most never make it back. He's thrown 117 innings since 2010.

On mlbtraderumors:

• As expected, the Orioles are working to secure an extension of the June 1 opt-out date in starter Johan Santana‘s minor league deal, reports Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com. Assuming that can be worked out, Baltimore hopes to set Santana on a course that could bring him back to the majors as soon as June 18.]

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/05/al-notes-lester-burnett-santana-suzuki-polanco.html

It seems to me that the league is catching up to Chen. If he's not extremely sharp, he is in deep doo-doo.

The Brewers caught up to him?

Now if the AL east was tearing him up and he was doing fine against the NL Central then I might agree that it is that simple.

Chen doesn't have great stuff anymore, hasn't since 2009 or so. He doesn't have a large margin for error and that was as true in 2012 as it is now.

The Brewers caught up to him?

Now if the AL east was tearing him up and he was doing fine against the NL Central then I might agree that it is that simple.

Chen doesn't have great stuff anymore, hasn't since 2009 or so. He doesn't have a large margin for error and that was as true in 2012 as it is now.

Last 5 starts (all in May): 4.66 ERA, 29 IP, ~6 IP per start, 6 HR, 17 SO, 6 BB

Now, that's very much driven by the back to back stinkers against the Indians and Brewers where he allowed 5 ER in each.

That said, far too many homers.

He's better than this, but he's mostly a league average starter. That's still valuable.

I think the biggest problem we have right now is Tillman.

I know it is "Bleacher Report" and all, but this article has a specific timetable with Johann in the O's rotation beginning mid-June. This is the first I have heard that the team has a concrete plan for him:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/ddb4V?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=baltimore-orioles

Exciting if true. I would love to have Johann in the rotation and Miguel taking the TJ McFarland slot in the bullpen.

Archived