Johan Santana topping out at 87mph in simulated game

xian4

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Johan Santana today in last extended spring start: 4 1/3 innings, 76 pitches, 2 runs, 6 hits, 0 walks, 8 strikeouts. FB: 86-88. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">May 27, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Santana's changeup was 72-76 mph and his slider was 77-81 mph. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a> expected to assign him to affiliate next, though has opt-out</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">May 27, 2014</a></blockquote>

Sounds encouraging / bordering on exciting. My gut feeling is the O's are giving him some money while he's doing this, so it's unlikely he bolts.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The velocity is not bad, especially for Santana with his knowledge of pitching. The lack of walks and the high number of strikeouts are great. However, and I assume Santana would agree which is why I'm not worried about the opt out date, we need to see what he can do with AAA hitters.

At one point in time his change up was the best pitch in the world (similar to how Tanaka's split finger probably holds the current distinction) so to see him getting that many K's against extended spring training batters does not surprise me. However, his other pitches, I'm assuming, look to be getting hit a good bit, hits per nine seem a bit high.

I'll be very curious to see how he does against better competition.

I guess I don't get the excitement... 6 hits, 2 Runs in 4.1 innings against scrubs, an 86-88 mph fastball.

Nice story, but I don't see him contributing at ML level

Don't need to experience another Freddy Garcia moment.

Results are not important, the process is.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but its still a long way from extended spring hitters to AAA to MLB hitters . At best, it would be something of a minor miracle to see him dominate at this level again.I don't anticipate Santana being a bg factor with the O's this year, though of course,Id like to be wrong.

I don't think I believe that first part. ;)

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but its still a long way from extended spring hitters to AAA to MLB hitters . At best, it would be something of a minor miracle to see him dominate at this level again.I don't anticipate Santana being a bg factor with the O's this year, though of course,Id like to be wrong.

I think it will be at least another month before we know if Santana is ready to pitch in the majors. There are plenty of pitchers with plus changeups and command who have succeeded with a fastball that tops out in the high '80's. But that doesn't mean Santana will be one of them. And I surely don't expect Santana to "dominate" in the big leagues. If he could post a 4ish ERA that would be about the best I'd hope for.

I think a best case scenario is we get one half a year out of him much like we did with Jimmy Key back in the '90s. Worst case is another Freddy Garcia/Sid Fernandez.

Not sure what you mean. Jimmy Key signed a 2-year deal with the O's as a free agent after the 1996 season. He made 34 starts in '97 and 11 in '98 (due to injury; he appeared in relief in 14 more games).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Os have a plan w Johan Santana. Not agreed upon yet. If it is he'll pitch June 2 in ext spring. June 8 w AAA and June 13 at AA. By June 18?</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">May 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

Archived