Johan Santana topping out at 87mph in simulated game

xian4

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When he gets to 92-93 I'll be very excited. Meanwhile, Im skeptical and think its

still a very long shot.

You do realize he hasn't averaged 92-93 since 2006, right? 2010 Santana averaged 89 mph on his fastball. He pitched 199 innings with a sub 3 ERA. 87-89 consistently is absolutely fine for now and not very far off of what he was at in 2010. I'd expect him to bump it up a little more over the next few weeks.

You do realize he hasn't averaged 92-93 since 2006, right? 2010 Santana averaged 89 mph on his fastball. He pitched 199 innings with a sub 3 ERA. 87-89 consistently is absolutely fine for now and not very far off of what he was at in 2010. I'd expect him to bump it up a little more over the next few weeks.

:agree:

Yep. Santana at 89 > most pitchers at 92...potentially.

This news has me (very) cautiously optimistic that he can contribute to the ML club at some point.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>heard johan santana was clocked at 88-89 FB, lows 80s slider and 74-76 changeup. promising. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">May 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He averaged about 88 in 2012, so if he can maintain an average of 87 during a start that is pretty good, since he still K'd batters at a good rate in 2012. (22% Ks)

But wasn't he pretty awful in 2012?

But wasn't he pretty awful in 2012?

Wasn't great, but also might have been a bit unlucky. 4.85 ERA, but .301 BABIP (highest of his career since becoming a starter) and a 4.09 FIP. Still struck out 8.54 batters per nine.

If we're eventually offered a choice, I'd take five innings of Santana over five innings of Chen every time.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>heard johan santana was clocked at 88-89 FB, lows 80s slider and 74-76 changeup. promising. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

That sounds great. Big velocity difference between the FB and CH.

Wasn't great, but also might have been a bit unlucky. 4.85 ERA, but .301 BABIP (highest of his career since becoming a starter) and a 4.09 FIP. Still struck out 8.54 batters per nine.

If we're eventually offered a choice, I'd take five innings of Santana over five innings of Chen every time.

Record duly noted......

Be still my beating heart! :hearts: ;)

I have a lot of confidence in the ability of a guy like Santana to be successful throwing at 87-89 mph. Obviously, it would be nice if he picked up a few more mph as he gains strength, but a 12-15 mph differential between his fastball and change is enough for him to be successful if he exhibits the same command of those pitches that he had before his surgery.

Archived