Orioles are aggressively looking for backup catcher.

Greg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When Rosenthal says they are looking for a backup catcher, does that mean they are looking for a backup to Wieters or to Clevenger? If Wieters can't catch for an extended period, Clevenger is the catcher and an adequate backup for him would be required.

Caleb Joseph not able to do the job? Last thing this team needs is three catchers.

I don't care if Clevenger can't even throw the ball to second base the way he's hitting. Buck has an obsession with catcher defense bordering on the insane. If we're looking for a right handed hitting backup to complement Clevenger that's fine, but Clevenger is the best backup catcher we have had in years, if not decades. The fact that we're shopping Patton tells me we want a long-term upgrade.

Any chance we can ship Matusz out instead of Patton?

I hope while we "aggressively" search for other catcher options we aren't downplaying Wieters' situation -- for the sake of other teams not charging us more in our state of desperation. But I do think it's possible.

DD is smart. I am not worried about some team's GM trying to put one over on

DD. Nor do I believe the O's are in a state of desperation.

I don't care if Clevenger can't even throw the ball to second base the way he's hitting. Buck has an obsession with catcher defense bordering on the insane. If we're looking for a right handed hitting backup to complement Clevenger that's fine, but Clevenger is the best backup catcher we have had in years, if not decades. The fact that we're shopping Patton tells me we want a long-term upgrade.

Any chance we can ship Matusz out instead of Patton?

Clevenger is a great back up catcher. But he isn't someone you want catching every day. Ergo someone like Suzuki, Obviously they think Wieters is going to be DH for a while.

Read the thread. The idea is that Wieters won't be able to catch for a while.

Yeah, exactly. They're looking for a guy they can actually plug in the line up a lot, not a regular back up for Wieters (the traditional kind of back up that both of ours fall in to).

Clevenger is starting again today, after catching 10 innings last night. Could Joseph be gone? Maybe they're on the verge of acquiring another catcher.

Maybe they want his and Wieters' bat in the lineup today.

I'll admit it is a bit unusaul for a catcher to come back in a day game after a night game that ended after midnight.

However, I'm sure that Clevenger can handle it and wants to make the most out of this opportunity.

Maybe they want his and Wieters' bat in the lineup today.

I'll admit it is a bit unusaul for a catcher to come back in a day game after a night game that ended after midnight.

However, I'm sure that Clevenger can handle it and wants to make the most out of this opportunity.

Wieters isn't in the lineup today.

Clevenger is starting again today, after catching 10 innings last night. Could Joseph be gone? Maybe they're on the verge of acquiring another catcher.

Wow, poor Clevenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived