Orioles are aggressively looking for backup catcher.

Greg

When Rosenthal says they are looking for a backup catcher, does that mean they are looking for a backup to Wieters or to Clevenger? If Wieters can't catch for an extended period, Clevenger is the catcher and an adequate backup for him would be required.

I hope it's a replacement for Caleb. I will be displeased if they bump Clevenger for some no-hit all-glove bum.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me too ...Clevenger is hitting .256 with has a pretty good OBP. I'm guessing he will hit better with some consistent playing time.

I don't think he needs to hit better - his OPS this morning is .788. Would have loved that from Wieters last couple of years.

I agree with this - last few days he has not looked good at the plate, slump or injury?

I think a bit of slump along with having to be the full time DH. Some guys are just not good at DHing with sitting around all game then grabbing a bat for a few swings every few innings. As a catcher Matt has always been in the game the entire 9 innings.

I think a bit of slump along with having to be the full time DH. Some guys are just not good at DHing with sitting around all game then grabbing a bat for a few swings every few innings. As a catcher Matt has always been in the game the entire 9 innings.

I think this is more likely than a DL worthy pain. He's said repeatedly that he feels no discomfort when swinging so unless something had changed I have no reason to think he's hurting.

It's a bummer... he's fine only hitting but isn't used to regular DHing so he's in a funk. There's no good solution.

I hope while we "aggressively" search for other catcher options we aren't downplaying Wieters' situation -- for the sake of other teams not charging us more in our state of desperation. But I do think it's possible.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Have heard repeatedly in recent days that <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> are aggressively looking for backup catcher.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">May 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will Matt catch again in 2014 ?

Why another catcher? Cleavenger and Joseph not enough?

Archived